James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Corinth Before and After, 1976
Image (9).jpg

Last week's Throwback Thursday featured a photo from a highly satisfactory 1987 reenactment of the Battle of Corinth, Mississippi, the anniversary of the final day of which is today; this week is an embarrassing look a decade earlier to 1976 and the dawn of modern reenacting during another Corinth event. I've previously shown the silly olive drab uniforms loaded down with tons of farby equipment that my unit then known as Good's Texas Battery adopted back around 1975, the year before I joined. In the photo above I'm wearing it while standing amid our various scaled-down replica cannons at our Corinth campsite. But even this fails to show the depths to which I sank in this, my very first "battle!"

Below, immortalized for posterity, is how I actually appeared DURING the reenactment, posed atop the sandbag "Battery Robinette." As usual for events held in the Deep South there was a dearth of Federal units, apart from Thomas' Mudsills of the infantry, so naturally several of the Confederate artillery units were asked to "galvanize" and portray Union artillery. Just as naturally, as I soon found out, many of our brethren refused, with the usual: "My skin would crisp and burn iffen it was t'tech thet BLUE!"; "My Ga-rand pappy wuld roolll in his ga-rave!"; etc.; etc. (Sadly, this garbage was usually from the otherwise fine fellows from one of the Memphis SCV units.) Also naturally, that left novices to the larger world of reenacting politics like us to be the goats, with results like that below. If our regular uniforms weren't bad enough, as Federal I'm wearing: a borrowed Confederate kepi spray-painted black; a baggy old white dress shirt from the back of my own closet; a pair of borrowed blue jeans; an ORIGINAL Federal belt, buckle, and pistol cartridge box; hippie "dress" boots with their decorative straps cut off; and best of all, the bright red vest from Pizza Hut!

Image (10).jpg

For more photos of this seminal event in reenacting: https://www.civilwartalk.com/threads/reenacting-the-battle-of-corinth-may-1976.150459/#post-1903293

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia is welcome and encouraged to share them with us here in this thread!

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

gary

Captain
Wonderful that we've advanced our knowledge (and hopefully understanding) of things past such that our mistakes may be corrected?

Northern Light

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Corinth Before and After, 1976
View attachment 206189

Last week's Throwback Thursday featured a photo from a highly satisfactory 1987 reenactment of the Battle of Corinth, Mississippi, the anniversary of the final day of which is today; this week is an embarrassing look a decade earlier to 1976 and the dawn of modern reenacting during another Corinth event. I've previously shown the silly olive drab uniforms loaded down with tons of farby equipment that my unit then known as Good's Texas Battery adopted back around 1975, the year before I joined. In the photo above I'm wearing it while standing amid our various scaled-down replica cannons at our Corinth campsite. But even this fails to show the depths to which I sank in this, my very first "battle!"
e0bb3f47546cea2b9eaa845654c711c3.jpg

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!