Civil War Talk Throwback Thursday, 1-24-19

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
1548358106526.png

Thinking about our projected return to Vicksburg this year for our fourth annual CWT Gathering, for this week's Throwback Thursday I decided to "revisit" a memorable Living History event there held in summer, 1983. Four members of our reenactment group attended as Confederate artillery, doing gun drill above using the NPS's Napoleon; from left to right: Ed Owens (No. 4) with lanyard; Myself (No. 2) as loader; slightly blocked by two observers from the NPS crew David Dunnett (No. 1) and Mike Hubbard (No. 3). We were actually camped in prefabricated reproduction sandbagged "earthworks" right on a battery position on Confederate Avenue along with an infantry company from the reenactment group the Confederate Guard. This was at least the second time we had been invited to Vicksburg NMP for a living history encampment; for additional photos from this event, please see:

https://www.civilwartalk.com/thread...-living-history-in-vicksburg-nmp-1983.124546/

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia to share is welcome and encouraged to do so here in this weekly thread!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I imagine it would have been nice if they reconstructed an original artillery position.
They HAVE, but it's located beside the Visitor Center and not on an actual battery site; in fact it's actually between the lines. During Summer months an NPS gun crew performs artillery demonstration firing using a reproduction Napoleon. The first time I saw them firing they were actually using a solid shot, firing it into the loess hillside, but unfortunately now they just fire blanks.

They HAVE, but it's located beside the Visitor Center and not on an actual battery site; in fact it's actually between the lines. During Summer months an NPS gun crew performs artillery demonstration firing using a reproduction Napoleon. The first time I saw them firing they were actually using a solid shot, firing it into the loess hillside, but unfortunately now they just fire blanks.

Yeah sorry, bad miscommunication on my part, reconstruct an original position to its 1863 appearance. That was my meaning, my mistake in communication.

Being there only once I remember that position by the visitor's center and its placement always looked off to me, it was later I learned it wasn't an original at all.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
DSC01746.JPG

Yeah sorry, bad miscommunication on my part, reconstruct an original position to its 1863 appearance. That was my meaning, my mistake in communication.

Being there only once I remember that position by the visitor's center and its placement always looked off to me, it was later I learned it wasn't an original at all.
DSC01747.JPG

The last time I visited was in July, 2013 during the Sesquicentennial. At this time they were representing a Federal gun crew, whereas the other times I'd seen them in action they were Confederates. I suppose by being between the lines they can portray either side, depending on whichever way the political winds are blowing! Most likely, though it was placed here for reasons of accessibility in the same way the outdoor display of different types of artillery pieces are placed here as well. I'm sure there are many visitors like my friend Doug who are largely confined to their cars for the auto tour and putting everything at a convenient location is likely a prime consideration.

DSC01749.JPG

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!