CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 1-12-17

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (18).jpg

A week or so ago there was a thread about Stone Mountain and its carving(s), so this week we're back to August, 1968, and my Atlanta honeymoon! As I previously noted, we were married atop Kennesaw Mountain, following which we ate at a cute (but very politically incorrect!) neighborhood restaurant called Mammy's Shanty somewhere in Atlanta before heading east to Stone Mountain. The next day we toured the great rock dome and the park surrounding it. My new bride photographed me looking through binoculars at the carving, which seems to still have scaffolding in front of it; I suppose even in 1968 it wasn't quite "finished".

[
View attachment 119916
A week or so ago there was a thread about Stone Mountain and its carving(s), so this week we're back to August, 1968, and my Atlanta honeymoon! As I previously noted, we were married atop Kennesaw Mountain, following which we ate at a cute (but very politically incorrect!) neighborhood restaurant called Mammy's Shanty somewhere in Atlanta before heading east to Stone Mountain. The next day we toured the great rock dome and the park surrounding it. My new bride photographed me looking through binoculars at the carving, which seems to still have scaffolding in front of it; I suppose even in 1968 it wasn't quite "finished".

Jim, this is a really cool pic and the story that goes with it makes it even better!

Last edited:
James, great photo, great story! Thanks for sharing! Now that we met in Gettysburg I even can imagine how you would have looked if you had turned around....

I live only a short distance away and have yet to visit the site. That will certainly be on my summer motorcycle trip list.

And I hope you will also think of us then and make a lot of photos! As some people suggested that the whole thing should be either sandblasted or exploded, it sure is worth a visit as long as there is something to be seen there!

Attachments

• image-21-jpg.jpg
    image-21-jpg.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image-20-jpg.jpg
    image-20-jpg.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 74
I grew up in and around Atlanta and remember going to Stone Mountain back in the days when they were still working on it. I remember the hoopla when it was finished, the city was excited to a point......some was still wanting the bottom half to be completed, the legs of the horses and the men. Some talk a few years back was to have this done, but the "South" and its heritage was shot down because everything that resembles the Civil War (to them) represented slavery and it was never again brought up.

Matter of fact some groups have attempted or still trying to have the craving erased from the side of the mountain and replaced by people who represent the civil rights movement.

Sadly I really see in the not so near future, everything that has anything to do with our heritage from those days will be torn down or replaced with something more in tune with today’s movements.

History is only compelled to move forward if it does not offend anyone. Truth is, no matter what and who you are, it will offend someone.

What offends me is the sun coming up in the East and setting in the West, why can’t we have equal movement every other year and have it come up in the West and set in the East.

What offends me is why we call something we drive on a Parkway, while something we park on a driveway.

I'm sure it must be! I posted the following pictures from a postcard from there before, but will repeat them here. The silly picture was a painting that was either in the foyer or hanging behind the cash register.

image-20-jpg.jpg

image-21-jpg.jpg

I'm really diggin those lunch and dinner prices!!!!!

Attachments

• image-20-jpg.jpg
    image-20-jpg.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image-21-jpg.jpg
    image-21-jpg.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 28
My new bride photographed me looking through binoculars at the carving

What a great memory and photo! Thanks for sharing! I visited Stone Mountain with my parents when I was a teenager and I loved it. I keep telling my husband we have to visit. He has never been. We're about a 5 hour drive to Atlanta so it's quite doable. It helps that we enjoy road trips!

You all know how much I hate the Confederate cause. I remember how, the first time I heard about Stone Mountain's existence, from a woman I knew in Texas who'd lived in Atlanta for many years, I was appalled. Appalled that there was a Confederate equivalent of Mt. Rushmore.

Nevertheless....

The fact that Stone Mountain is now a target for destruction just can't help but remind me of this...

_81580629_buddhablast.jpg

Obligatory disclaimer: No, I am not comparing Davis, Lee and Jackson to Buddha in terms of personal qualities, philosophy, number of followers, or anything other than the fact that they had their images carved into rock.

I'm sure it must be! I posted the following pictures from a postcard from there before, but will repeat them here. The silly picture was a painting that was either in the foyer or hanging behind the cash register.

image-20-jpg.jpg

image-21-jpg.jpg

A little surprised they didn't have Grant drinking a bottle of something.

Back