Civil War Swords and Sabers

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
I know almost nothing about swords and sabers used in the American Civil War. What little I know I have learned here in this Forum.
I've especially wondered about swords and sabers with beautifully etched blades. Aside from send-off presentations or post-war honors, how common were such fancy weapons? Could an officer simply walk into a shop near his post or in a major city or contact a supplier and purchase a weapon with his name and unique design? How likely were such beautifully decorated weapons that survived to have actually been carried in combat? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Virtually all officers' swords came from the factory with etched blades. Personalized designs could be special ordered, but many off-the-shelf models had blank scrolls or panels on which the officer could have his name etched or engraved. Officers' swords with no etching or engraving are found, but they are the exception.

Virtually all officers' swords came from the factory with etched blades. Personalized designs could be special ordered, but many off-the-shelf models had blank scrolls or panels on which the officer could have his name etched or engraved. Officers' swords with no etching or engraving are found, but they are the exception.
Thanks for your response.
So (using a simplified example) my local cutlery shop would personalize the blade. Until now I thought 'named' swords were the rarity!

During the CW much as today "Ranked had Its Privileges" most officers had 2 type sets of uniforms to include swords. Field sword and Dress swords were the norm. Of course the dress sword is going to be fancier the field sword. Rank also played a big part as a General officers sword would be way more decorated then say a LT Col. The term "presentation" is a misnomer, I have always looked at the officers swords like this. A Lieutenant goes off to the war and his Masonic Lodge has a sword made with "Presented to Lt ABC by his Lodge Bros" that is a presentation sword even if its his daily driver so to speak. An officer makes Col and no one gives him a sword, he goes into the clothing sales store and buys his dress uniform to include a fancy dress sword. Then its just a dress sword. When you get into this category you have 2 grades Presentation & High grade. Below is a great links with a ton of the different types discussed above.

https://www.americanswords.com/presentation-swords.html

Back