Discussion Civil War soldiers who decided to purchase their arms when they left the army.

I remember in 2006 while in Iraq, there was scuttlebutt going around about maybe being able to purchase our 9mm Berettas from the government.

Nothing ever came from it, as it was a probably a rumor that just spread through the company.

Had this gone through I’m sure it would have been like highway robbery to buy off the government a used and abused pistol.

But it would have been really neat to “take home” the same pistol that I carried during my 3 deployments to Iraq.
My youngest son had a chance to come home with a pair of sterile Glock 22's in .40 S&W. After the COP Keating debacle, he transitioned over to Advisor of the Afghan National Army in Nuristan Province. The local General liked Rob so much he offered to peel off two of the Glock's from the delivery we supplied them and send them home for him. He graciously declined the General's offer. Just what every young up and coming officer needs, two untracable side arms, showing up on his door step.

My youngest son had a chance to come home with a pair of sterile Glock 22's in .40 S&W. After the COP Keating debacle, he transitioned over to Advisor of the Afghan National Army in Nuristan Province. The local General liked Rob so much he offered to peel off two of the Glock's from the delivery we supplied them and send them home for him. He graciously declined the General's offer. Just what every young up and coming officer needs, two untracable side arms, showing up on his door step.
Probably a good move on his part.

That doesn’t surprise me though, a lot of shady stuff went down with arms and ammo when it came to dealing with Iraqi Army and Iraqi Police, I’m sure it was the same in Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Come the end of my last deployment my unit had a purchase deal with DPMS for a mil-spec AR-15. 16” barrel and obviously semi auto only. It came engraved with the unit crest. Yeah I went ahead and got one, then set it up with the same sight and green laser I had on my service weapon. I don’t shoot it much. Fact is after 14 years in service I kind of find it boring on the range. Still, it’s comforting to have it on hand.

Come the end of my last deployment my unit had a purchase deal with DPMS for a mil-spec AR-15. 16” barrel and obviously semi auto only. It came engraved with the unit crest. Yeah I went ahead and got one, then set it up with the same sight and green laser I had on my service weapon. I don’t shoot it much. Fact is after 14 years in service I kind of find it boring on the range. Still, it’s comforting to have it on hand
I agree that shooting modern arms can be somewhat boring, that’s why you need to get into blackpowder. Talk about an addiction!

I'm going to ask an admittedly naive question: What were the consequences of NOT properly purchasing whatever equipment you wanted? Why not 'stash it behind a tree'...claim you lost it in the last battle...and then just go and pick it up when you were discharged and heading home?

I'm posing this for the ACW...not modern times.

Last edited:
I'm going to ask an admittedly naive question: What are the consequences of NOT properly purchasing whatever equipment you wanted? Why not 'stash it behind a tree'...claim you lost it in the last battle...and then just go and pick it up when you were discharged and heading home?

I'm posing this for the ACW...not modern times.
Soldiers were charged for lost equipment. There were general orders for both US and CS armies that specified the charges, and the soldiers pay was docked. I did a CWN column on this about a year ago. I think it was General orders #166?

Last edited:
I didn't know that...how would that apply to guys mailing stuff home? I read all the time about guys mailing / shipping their over coats home when the weather warmed up, would they have to purchase them, too?

When my wife's Gr. Gr. Uncle was discharged from the 179th Ohio, he was charged for a lost musket tool. At least in this case they must have done an inventory of his equipment when he was discharged.

I didn't know that...how would that apply to guys mailing stuff home? I read all the time about guys mailing / shipping their over coats home when the weather warmed up, would they have to purchase them, too?
Clothing was not really expected to be returned. Although one would have to pay out of their own pocket if one happened to over draw one’s allowed number of a clothing item for a year.

I agree that shooting modern arms can be somewhat boring, that’s why you need to get into blackpowder. Talk about an addiction!
Oh it definitely is! I usually show up on range day with my gun club bringing my CVA Hawken. I always find it amusing to step up to the firing line beside everyone else with modern rifles and let off a big blast of black powder smoke. Most of them have to pause their fire to let my smoke clear.

My son and I are totally hooked on firing the original black powder Civil War guns. We also use them for deer hunting... I use an 1853 Enfield, and my son uses the 1863 Sharps Carbine for that. Bagged a big buck this year and posted about it on the Forums 2 weeks ago.

I have cap pouches and cartridge boxes waiting for me at a US mailbox...we'll be picking up that stuff on the way back from the Franklin, TN show. Finally decided (after 3 years) to get some proper gear to enhance our black powder shooting experience. I got some great advice from Forum members on manufacturers of authentic-looking/quality gear. :smile coffee:

I do hate the same day cleaning of the "old smokeys" though. Am thinking of getting an Ultrasonic cleaner to process all the smaller parts while I clean up the barrel and stock...that would help reduce the cleaning burden. Anyone have any recommendations on that?

Can you tell that I am a fellow ADDICT :eek: ? :giggle:

Lincoln told Grant at I believe City Point when the war was almost over to “let them up easy. Let them take their horse to plow gardens, and their guns to shot the crows with”.
Grant didn’t do that.
I knew Lincoln said it, but I didn’t know Grant didn’t do it. What happened?

Oh it definitely is! I usually show up on range day with my gun club bringing my CVA Hawken. I always find it amusing to step up to the firing line beside everyone else with modern rifles and let off a big blast of black powder smoke. Most of them have to pause their fire to let my smoke clear.
Forgot to add...you should have seen the reaction of other hunting friends when they saw what I used to bag that big buck. Even people who aren't shooters get caught up in the nostalgia of the "old smokeys"... they think it's so cool to be live-firing those old guns.

My son and I are totally hooked on firing the original black powder Civil War guns. We also use them for deer hunting... I use an 1853 Enfield, and my son uses the 1863 Sharps Carbine for that. Bagged a big buck this year and posted about it on the Forums 2 weeks ago.

I have cap pouches and cartridge boxes waiting for me at a US mailbox...we'll be picking up that stuff on the way back from the Franklin, TN show. Finally decided (after 3 years) to get some proper gear to enhance our black powder shooting experience. I got some great advice from Forum members on manufacturers of authentic-looking/quality gear. :smile coffee:

I do hate the same day cleaning of the "old smokeys" though. Am thinking of getting an Ultrasonic cleaner to process all the smaller parts while I clean up the barrel and stock...that would help reduce the cleaning burden. Anyone have any recommendations on that?

Can you tell that I am a fellow ADDICT :eek: ? :giggle:
I have never heard of an ultrasonic cleaner, I’m very curious about it.

Nothing wrong with being addicted to blackpowder.

Back