Discussion Civil War soldiers who decided to purchase their arms when they left the army.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I understand that some soldiers purchased their arms when they were discharged. Does anyone know how common this was? Muskets and rifles would have been some use to civilians. I am not sure about carbines. Again I am not sure about pistols or swords. Perhaps some men kept them more as a souvenir than as a useful item. I am not even sure most muskets and rifles were that useful for hunting.

If you had been given the option of purchasing your weapon when you were discharged, would have you spent the money? When I returned from the war zone, my assigned weapon was a 45 pistol. It is kind of large and heavy to use as a personal pistol, so I think I would pass on the 45. I also had an M16. I am not sure the M16 would have made a good civilian weapon. For a while I carried a grenade launcher, I would not have wanted to keep that beast. When I retired I had a 9mm pistol. I liked this weapon and I might have purchased it, but it is still kind of large and kind of heavy. I did carry the "pig" off and on. I guess an M60 machinegun would look good as a display piece. Still who wants to be remembered as a "pig-man"?

I understand that some soldiers purchased their arms when they were discharged. Does anyone know how common this was? Muskets and rifles would have been some use to civilians. I am not sure about carbines. Again I am not sure about pistols or swords. Perhaps some men kept them more as a souvenir than as a useful item. I am not even sure most muskets and rifles were that useful for hunting.

If you had been given the option of purchasing your weapon when you were discharged, would have you spent the money? When I returned from the war zone, my assigned weapon was a 45 pistol. It is kind of large and heavy to use as a personal pistol, so I think I would pass on the 45. I also had an M16. I am not sure the M16 would have made a good civilian weapon. For a while I carried a grenade launcher, I would not have wanted to keep that beast. When I retired I had a 9mm pistol. I liked this weapon and I might have purchased it, but it is still kind of large and kind of heavy. I did carry the "pig" off and on. I guess an M60 machinegun would look good as a display piece. Still who wants to be remembered as a "pig-man"?
It could have been worse, my sidearm of choice was an M109A1 155MM self propelled howitzer

There was know way I could afford an M1 Abrams and beside if could not get the ammo for the main gun or the Ma Duce why have it. BTW why would an MP need an M60 or a thump gun?
1634603130964.jpeg

There was know way I could afford an M1 Abrams and beside if could not get the ammo for the main gun or the Ma Duce why have it. BTW why would an MP need an M60 or a thump gun?
View attachment 418803

M60s were mounted on jeeps for convoy duties as well as used for area security. Later when the HUMMER came out the M60s were still retained as an alternative weapon to the Mark 4s and M260s. When I was in an MP security company we still retained the ma duces. The M60s were not considered good for providing air defense. During the Gulf War were used the M60s on perimeter security at the prisoner of war camp. Also we used the M60s on the mobile patrols of the pipe lines.

I did carry the "pig" off and on
So its was mounted and you didn't really "Hump It" and the Mark 4 was a mounted weapon as well and not an M79 or M203

So its was mounted and you didn't really "Hump It" and the Mark 4 was a mounted weapon as well and not an M79 or M203

Only during exercises did I truly "Hump it". I have carried the M60 until I fell over and could no longer walk. Carrying an M60 on your hands and knees is less fun than it sounds. I was a squad leader and by the end of the day my entire squad had been evacuated in in ambulances due to lack of water and hard marching. Carrying the radio and the M60 the last couple thousand feet on your hands and knees is nothing I ever wish to do again. It be young again!

I was a squad leader and by the end of the day my entire squad had been evacuated in in ambulances due to lack of water and hard marching.
I would say that you did NOT take care of your people as a Squad Leader if they had to evac your entire squad. I glade this was only during training. Why would you be carrying a PRK75 and the 60??????

I’m not gonna beat up on major bill….but I will say this…a PRK77 and a 16 was plenty for me. Or a 60 and ammo (AG’s just weren’t a reality, except somebody would hump the tripod). I think I actually carried more **** when I was a PSG, than I did as a Private!

I’m not gonna beat up on major bill….but I will say this…a PRK77 and a 16 was plenty for me. Or a 60 and ammo (AG’s just weren’t a reality, except somebody would hump the tripod). I think I actually carried more **** when I was a PSG, than I did as a Private!
I only took the M60 because we had not taken the tripod with us, leaving the tripod behind when we loaded on to the helicopters.

I was fairly robust at age 34 when I was at this school. We took turns being squad leader and when I was not squad leader I normally carried the M60. When you add two LAWs, a battery for the PRK77, two extra canteens of water to help refill canteens. All added to three days rations and all your needed gear, it can be a load. Steep hills, rivers, and deep swamps are no fun when loaded down like this.

Worse humping I ever did was at a cold weather school which I attended at age 38. As a first lieutenant I took a patrol out on a two day, over night patrol. The soldiers were poor skiers and at the end of two days, were near the end of their energy. Night was falling we had to get back to the main base to get picked up by a truck. So I had the soldiers put their packs, rifles, and snowshoes on the sled. I put the PRK77 on my chest and the M60 over my shoulder. I was wearing a large pack because we had extra gear for the over night at sub zero weather. After skiing up a steep hill pulling a 500 to 550 pound sled by myself, because the solders claimed they were just too tired to help, I was spent. At the top of the hill I was feeling my age and trying to catch my breath. A sergeant pointed out he was getting cold and I needed to pull the sled faster if we were to reach the base camp before dark. I usually do not snap at one of my NCOs, but I sharply told him he could help pull the sled or get cold for all I cared. He declined my offer of helping to pull the sled. By the time we reached the main base, I knew how a mule feels.

Fun times, but we need to get back on topic.

Last edited:
My last experience with "issued" weapons consisted of an AK-47, an Uzi carbine, a Browning Hi-Power, and an armored up AT-28D-10; issued by a vague DOD "contractor" allegedly in Laos. Since the President at the time, stated via "Stars & Stripes" "There are no US troops in Laos or Cambodia", I kept all of the small arms, but managed to destroy the plane which I ejected myself from, after it flew into a hale of lead. It was too big to get into a duffle bag.
My avatar to the left is another story...but I wasn't there either.:unsure:

So were the arms Civil War soldiers of much practiced use? Muskets and rilfes could be used to hunt. They are a bit too large of caliber to hunt many prey. Would a musket made a good squirrel or rabbit piece?

Under the provisions of General Order 101, 30 May 1865, discharged Federal soldiers were permitted to purchase their arms and take them home. Muskets of all types, with or without accoutrements, cost $6.00. Spencer carbines, with or without accoutrements cost $10.00, while all other carbines and revolvers cost $8.00. Under G.O. 101, soldiers purchased 116,677 "muskets"; including 96,238 Springfields, 19,882 Enfields, and 557 "others." I have found no provisions prior to 30 May 1865 for Federal soldiers to purchase their arms upon discharge.

Regards,
Don Dixon

At the Missouri State Museum we had an Enfield that had the sights removed and the rifling bored out, presumably for use as a shotgun. I don't know if it had been carried in the war by the man who owned it, or had been acquired by some other means. I personally own the light cavalry saber of private Robert Kroesen, 10th Ohio Cavalry, who proudly brought it home from the war.

Wear the title with pride. I do

I would have gladly purchased my M 14 maybe even the 1897 Trench Gun 60 gunners were issued (they could keep the bayonet though, who wants that thing banging on your ankles?) The 1911 is a fine weapon but both of the ones I was issued were more like smooth bores than rifled barrel pistols. On the plus side, field stripping was a breeze as a good side to side flick of the wrist was about all that was required to reduce both weapons to their component parts.

I would have gladly purchased my M 14 maybe even the 1897 Trench Gun 60 gunners were issued (they could keep the bayonet though, who wants that thing banging on your ankles?) The 1911 is a fine weapon but both of the ones I was issued were more like smooth bores than rifled barrel pistols. On the plus side, field stripping was a breeze as a good side to side flick of the wrist was about all that was required to reduce both weapons to their component parts.
T'was a sad day indeed when I turned in my M14 for the "plastic fantastic".

My last experience with "issued" weapons consisted of an AK-47, an Uzi carbine, a Browning Hi-Power, and an armored up AT-28D-10; issued by a vague DOD "contractor" allegedly in Laos. Since the President at the time, stated via "Stars & Stripes" "There are no US troops in Laos or Cambodia", I kept all of the small arms, but managed to destroy the plane which I ejected myself from, after it flew into a hale of lead. It was too big to get into a duffle bag.
My avatar to the left is another story...but I wasn't there either.:unsure:
You could probably tell us, but then you would have to kill us. And I'm from the neighborhood where the people whose name we dare not say hired the Air National Guard to fly cover for the Bay of Pigs invasion, it was planned in a beer joint (The Airport Inn), the crews were sent to Sears to buy civilian clothes and somehow it just didn't work out. Enough said and now I've got to go check outside for black Suburbans.

Back