Civil War Soldier Photo Collection

TrajanMax

Private
I have recently started collecting Vintage Photographs, and I have found that photos of Civil War Soldiers are especially interesting. I figured I's share a few of my items here for people to look at:

8482467154_8c3de40852_z.jpg

Tinted CDV, Green Revenue Stamp on Back

8432206239_5aab5e260c_z.jpg

Tinted Ambrotype, In Original Thermoplastic Case with Brass Matting (Not Shown) This photo was found in Ohio.

8450325609_c8c1487a83_z.jpg

Tinted Tintype, Probably Originally Cased, as there are still marks from Brass Matting, Found in Maine, in a small Wooden Frame (Not Shown)

8364201565_379838b2db_z.jpg

CDV, Union Soldier, Taken in Alexandria Virginia, Green Revenue Stamp on Back, found in a photo album belonging to the Speer Family of Washington County PA.

These following two photos were posted in another thread, but are included here:

8475402521_3fdb5103c7_z.jpg

Half Plate Tintype, Heavily Tinted, Found in Gettysburg PA

8472940899_284a9c8080_z.jpg

Full Plate Tintype, Heavily Tinted, found in Washington State.

Expired Image Removed

Post War (Ca 1870's) CDV Photo of an Ancestor of Mine, Private John Shanes, Co K 14th WVa Infantry. He is not in uniform in this photo, however he is wearing some of his medals, one being the Medal of Honor. His Citation Reads:

“The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Private John Shanes, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism on 20 July 1864, while serving with Company K, 14th West Virginia Infantry, in action at Carter's Farm, Virginia. Private Shanes charged upon a Confederate fieldpiece in advance of his comrades and by his individual exertions silenced the piece.”

A few more pics, these are what I would call "Souvenir" or Trade Photos from the time period of the Civil War, and slightly thereafter,

First, is General US Grant:

8266318493_bc27b0a567_z.jpg

This is an Original CDV Photograph, clearly a photographic copy of an earlier Image, that dates to Grants Term in Office

8267386764_259cb0bcca_z.jpg

Same deal here, CDV, a Photographic Copy of an earlier Image, of Schuyler Colfax, Grant's VP

8267387204_1c03f63e9a_z.jpg

8267387728_77210cac8a_z.jpg

Front and Back of another CDV Of General US Grant, this one was used as part of an Advertising Scheme by Lucy Allen to sell her CDV Photograph Album. This photo probably dates to the end of the Civil War.

8273689336_59ae8cdb01_z.jpg

Post War Image of US Grant, marked "Sold by a Wounded Soldier". These CDVs were used in the post war era to raise funds for Veterans.

8364160967_e5c971155e_z.jpg

General Grant, 3/4 Standing Pose, wearing a Black Mourning Band.

8365229524_a22367d431_z.jpg

General McClellan and his Wife

And Lastly:

8364161433_1657fd529d_z.jpg

Governor Andrew Curtin, Governor of Pennsylvania during the Civil War

That is very awesome. I Absolutely love photos of Civil War Soldiers. It's a shame that so many of them are identified. My Ancestor Daniel Cumberledge was in the Civil War and I have never found a photo of him. I scour ebay and all the internet sites that sell Vintage Photos hoping someday to hit that one in a million shot and find a photo of him.

"Front and Back of another CDV Of General US Grant, this one was used as part of an Advertising Scheme by Lucy Allen to sell her CDV Photograph Album. This photo probably dates to the end of the Civil War."

"Post War Image of US Grant, marked "Sold by a Wounded Soldier". These CDVs were used in the post war era to raise funds for Veterans."

Actually, the Grant photo used by Lucy has been dated to about the time of the Vicksburg Campaign - note his slender, almost haggard appearance from campaigning and that he's still wearing the shoulder straps of a Major General. ( Although things like rank insignia were often "touched up" when photos were reproduced. ) The one "Sold by a Wounded Soldier" is a late-war image showing the three stars of a Lieutenant General. Soon after Appomattox he was rewarded by Congress with the first-ever promotion in the U.S. Army to the rank of full ( 4 star ) General.

"General Grant, 3/4 Standing Pose, wearing a Black Mourning Band."

Of course the mourning band was for Lincoln, dating this one to soon after Appomattox and the assassination - and he's still wearing the three stars on his shoulder straps.

"Front and Back of another CDV Of General US Grant, this one was used as part of an Advertising Scheme by Lucy Allen to sell her CDV Photograph Album. This photo probably dates to the end of the Civil War."

"Post War Image of US Grant, marked "Sold by a Wounded Soldier". These CDVs were used in the post war era to raise funds for Veterans."

Actually, the Grant photo used by Lucy has been dated to about the time of the Vicksburg Campaign - note his slender, almost haggard appearance from campaigning and that he's still wearing the shoulder straps of a Major General. ( Although things like rank insignia were often "touched up" when photos were reproduced. ) The one "Sold by a Wounded Soldier" is a late-war image showing the three stars of a Lieutenant General. Soon after Appomattox he was rewarded by Congress with the first-ever promotion in the U.S. Army to the rank of full ( 4 star ) General.

"General Grant, 3/4 Standing Pose, wearing a Black Mourning Band."

Of course the mourning band was for Lincoln, dating this one to soon after Appomattox and the assassination - and he's still wearing the three stars on his shoulder straps.

Thanks for all the information! I'll add all of that to the notations I keep with the photos!

Back