Miniatures Civil War Soldier Decanter Statues

Pete Longstreet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
A guy next to where I live was selling these decanter statues. I bought them and cleaned the dust off. They are ceramic, about 12 inches in height and are in excellent condition. Some are still sealed and filled with alcohol. I thought the set was cool, and would display well on my shelf. Just figured I would post a few pictures on here for anyone to see. Some research I've done indicates they are roughly from the 1970's. Some still have the stickers on them. @Kurt G helped me learn a little more about them, so a shoutout and thank you to him.

20200518_091106.jpg
20200518_091132.jpg
20200518_091139.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen a couple of these. Do you have a little history of them like who made them, initial cost and what are tbey worth now?
The bottom is stamped "McCormick Distillery". The guy who I bought them front said he bought them years ago from a dentist who retired and was cleaning out his business. From what I researched the value varies greatly. Some are worth $30 each... but then I saw a U.S. Grant one selling for $96 and a R.E Lee one for over $100. Seems to be a wide range.

What a great set, I've never seen these before. Had to google 'Confederate Decanter' and found out they are made by the McCormick company.
I have to ask, do you take the head off to pour.
Your correct, they are made by McCormick. And yes the heads come off, which has cork attached to the bottom. It appears some of the heads have never been removed, while others have. One split all over the inside of my car lol

DSC01295.JPG

Funny you say that... the Grant decanter was the empty one lol. I did notice that Lincoln towers over the others. Although it's strange seeing him without the beard.
They vary in size because they're actually parts of different "sets." The four Confederates appeared around the time of the Centennial in the 1960's - I believe the Grant did too, but was part of a different series. Lincoln is obviously not the same scale as the others and not exactly a "proper" Civil War subject. McCormack was probably better-known for decanters featuring Western subjects, among which were Daniel Boone and/or Davy Crockett; Lewis and Clark; Wild Bill Hickock; Calamity Jane; Wyatt Earp; Doc Holliday; Buffalo Bill and likely many others. I've owned the Stonewall Jackson above for decades and more recently my old friend @1863surgeon has ordered Grant and the Confederates on Ebay.

A guy next to where I live was selling these decanter statues. I bought them and cleaned the dust off. They are ceramic, about 12 inches in height and are in excellent condition. Some are still sealed and filled with alcohol. I thought the set was cool, and would display well on my shelf. Just figured I would post a few pictures on here for anyone to see. Some research I've done indicates they are roughly from the 1970's. Some still have the stickers on them. @Kurt G helped me learn a little more about them, so a shoutout and thank you to him.

View attachment 359073View attachment 359074View attachment 359075
Those are nice, especially Stonewall Jackson 👍

The bottom is stamped "McCormick Distillery". The guy who I bought them front said he bought them years ago from a dentist who retired and was cleaning out his business. From what I researched the value varies greatly. Some are worth $30 each... but then I saw a U.S. Grant one selling for $96 and a R.E Lee one for over $100. Seems to be a wide range.

Back