NF Civil War Sketch Book : Drawings from the Battlefront

Non-Fiction

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
I just purchased the book by Harry L. Katz and Vincent Virga entitled, "Civil War Sketch Book : Drawings from the Battlefront." I dropped by a local bookstore in the Great Cincinnati Area and observed this $50.00 retail priced book marked down to $19.99. I scooped this book from a shelf, purchased it and took it home for a view. This is one of the best Civil War books I have purchased over the years. I highly recommend this book to the buff and to the novice. And this book contains plenty of drawings from my favorite Civil War era artist, Mr. Alfred R. Waud. (4 1/2 stars out of 5 stars)

Sketch Book.jpg

Bill, it looks like a great book to an artist like me. I have a book compiled from the works of various combat artists in the Civil War, but have not seen this one. Combat artists and war correspondent artists down through the years have captured some very compelling images. A lot of great stuff came out of WWI and WWII. But, during the Civil War, photography was such a cumbersome process that I think sketch books, pencils and quill pens played a huge role in showing us military life at times and in places that were simply not practical for the cameras of the era.

Bill, I just found it on Amazon, ranging in price (new) from about $19 and change to $35 and change. I'm not sure what's up with all that price swing. Also, some used volumes. I will put it on my wish list.
Thank you for the heads up.
Patrick

Bill, I just found it on Amazon, ranging in price (new) from about $19 and change to $35 and change. I'm not sure what's up with all that price swing. Also, some used volumes. I will put it on my wish list.
Thank you for the heads up.
Patrick

You will love it, Patrick!

It is packed with a bunch of punches.

Bill

The OP here is five years old, but I just got my copy today (a b'day present from my wife).

I've loved Waud's drawings since I was a kid. This book is pure gold...

Back