Managing Member & Webmaster
1595271237386.png

• @geneofva is Gene Schmiel, and he is proud to launch his newest book:
    • Civil War Rogues, Rascals, And Rapscallions
      • 50 Characters Who Changed the Civil War Era
    • Scheduled for Publishing on July 27, 2020
    • Launched on CWT on 7/20/2020
    • Pre-Order / Buy it on Amazon

Jesse James, George Custer, Napoleon III, Ambrose Bierce, Phil Sheridan. These and 45 other "characters" were Rogues, Rascals, and/or Rapscallions -- and sometimes all three!! -- during the Civil War era who you will learn about in this book.

Every war has strange bedfellows. It brings forth the best and the worst in a society, and it certainly accelerates the appearance and impact of Rogues, Rascals, and Rapscallions. The Civil War was no exception. These are the people who are memorable during a conflict, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad.

See All of the Official Book Launch Club Listings
Are you an Author Interested in getting your book listed in the Book Launch Club?
Click Here to read the Official Rules & Request Thread

Last edited:
50 MEN AND WOMEN WHO INALTERABLY CHANGED THE CIVIL WAR ERA AND AMERICAN HISTORY.jpg
The second book in my series, "Civil War Personalities, 50 At a Time," this book looks at a wide variety of "characters" who had a major impact on the Civil War era. It is available for pre-order at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D7SBHW3/?tag=civilwartalkc-20 . I hope to have the paperback version available soon. Both versions will be available on my amazon.com author's site: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00HV4SSWK

In writing this book, I have used the following definitions:
Rogue: one who acts outside normal parameters;.
Rascal: mean, unprincipled, or dishonest person;
Rapscallion: ne’er do-well, extreme rascal.

But, and this is a critical point for the reader to understand, some of the people I categorize as “rogues” did have a positive impact, even though they acted “outside normal parameters.” These are the “positive rogues.” Custer, Sheridan, and several others fit in this category.

At the same time, there are some other characters in this book who have no redeeming features. Jesse James, William Quantrill, and others fit into that group.

I have presented each character via a 2-3 page essay, their picture from the era, contemporary images, including political cartoons, modern maps, and suggested additional books to read. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is the correct method to announce this, but my next book in this series, "Civil War Political Generals of the Blue and Grey" is about to be published on amazon.com Here is the image of the cover. Thanks, Gene

Black and White Modern Collage Photography Book Cover.jpg

View attachment 366896The second book in my series, "Civil War Personalities, 50 At a Time," this book looks at a wide variety of "characters" who had a major impact on the Civil War era. It is available for pre-order at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D7SBHW3/?tag=civilwartalkc-20 . I hope to have the paperback version available soon. Both versions will be available on my amazon.com author's site: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00HV4SSWK

In writing this book, I have used the following definitions:
Rogue: one who acts outside normal parameters;.
Rascal: mean, unprincipled, or dishonest person;
Rapscallion: ne’er do-well, extreme rascal.

But, and this is a critical point for the reader to understand, some of the people I categorize as “rogues” did have a positive impact, even though they acted “outside normal parameters.” These are the “positive rogues.” Custer, Sheridan, and several others fit in this category.

At the same time, there are some other characters in this book who have no redeeming features. Jesse James, William Quantrill, and others fit into that group.

I have presented each character via a 2-3 page essay, their picture from the era, contemporary images, including political cartoons, modern maps, and suggested additional books to read. Enjoy!

Like your definitions

Back