Muzzleldrs Civil War Rifle

Shawdog

Cadet
He was a collector of civil war items, mostly swords. He mentioned that it had the anchor stamp inside the gun which was from what he said confederate marking. Upon my own tear down inspection recently I found the gun to be loaded still ! 2 JS stamps with 1 anchor stamp under the barrel. I have learned a lot from everyone on this site and I think it’s great!

Mr.Ken

Cadet
I recently inherited a civil war rifle from my Grandfather who passed away. He told me it was a confederate rifle and had the JS stamp and anchor inside the gun. Upon further inspection of the weapon I found these markings and others inside the gun. Not only that but it also came to my attention that it was still loaded with a good 8” of mass in barrel end, multiple loads I presume? It also.has a cracked wood butt that was repaired with nails from the time, which tells me it was in battle?
My question on this gun is who was the maker?
Can anyone solidify it Is confederate?
Is there any history of this gun connected to a certain battle?
Is the gun restorable or just a wall hanger?
Any help on this would be great.. I did call John Zimmerman in WV about this and he said I have to physically bring the gun into him to identifying the maker and answering the questions I have.

View attachment 394195

View attachment 394196

View attachment 394197

View attachment 394198

View attachment 394199

View attachment 394200

View attachment 394201

View attachment 394202

View attachment 394203

View attachment 394204

View attachment 394205

View attachment 394206

View attachment 394207

View attachment 394208

View attachment 394209

View attachment 394210

View attachment 394211

View attachment 394212

View attachment 394213

View attachment 394214

View attachment 394215

View attachment 394216

View attachment 394217
great pictures. nice piece of history

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
My favorite published story on what some markings mean was a detailed article in a 1960s "The Gun Report" about a French model 1842 back-action lock musket which had been cut down and otherwise "shotgunized" with shortened stock and barrel.
The writer had dismounted the barrel from the stock, and found many initials stamped on the bottom of the barrel, including "AL"
He opined that arm was an experimental weapon which had been sent for secret testing on the American frontier during the Blackhawk War of 1832. Why would France send an arm for secret testing to American? Well, the American frontier was remote, so said the writer.
Who was the most prominent participant in the Blackhawk War - Well, of course the answer is (then) 23-year-old Abraham Lincoln, who served three months as a militia man from Illinois, and so those initials AL stamped on the bottom of the barrel, along with what we now know to be other various inspectors' marks, must mean that this rifle was used by none other than the future president Abraham Lincoln himself!
The article even pictured a detailed display he had presented at a collectors show or meeting.
Initials and marks are interesting, eh?

Last edited:

Shawdog

Cadet
Yes the mystery behind the history. I’m sure if these old relics could only talk and tell the tales of their adventures. Cool story! Thanks