Civil War + Revolution On The Rio Grande Frontier

I stumbled upon a most interesting book the other day. I really wasnt sure which forum to post this thread as it could probably fit into several differant categories. The book itself deals with a specific region in the mid 1800's, the people in that region and the photographers who captured the images. The title of the book is "Civil War + Revolution on the Rio Grande Frontier" by Jerry Thompson and Lawrence Jones lll. It deals with differant photographers of that region including the Prussian Louis de Planque. A most interesting and educational book, its a glimpse into the Civil War in other than the Eastern Theatre.

20190419_100500.jpg

I stumbled upon a most interesting book the other day. I really wasnt sure which forum to post this thread as it could probably fit into several differant categories. The book itself deals with a specific region in the mid 1800's, the people in that region and the photographers who captured the images. The title of the book is "Civil War + Revolution on the Rio Grande Frontier" by Jerry Thompson and Lawrence Jones lll. It deals with differant photographers of that region including the Prussian Louis de Planque. A most interesting and educational book, its a glimpse into the Civil War in other than the Eastern Theatre.
At $135 and UP on Amazon, this is an ILL candidate.

Thank You , that is the image of the Prussian Photographer Louis de Planque reading the Daily Ranchero in 1865. This was a staged view taken in his studio by his wife Eugenia. Photography throughout the South suffered from want of chemicals. De Planque apparantely had a good supply from Mexico.

A book I would be very interested in. Went to Amazon, but its a little out of my price range right now, but I will keep it on my radar.

Thank You , that is the image of the Prussian Photographer Louis de Planque reading the Daily Ranchero in 1865. This was a staged view taken in his studio by his wife Eugenia. Photography throughout the South suffered from want of chemicals. De Planque apparantely had a good supply from Mexico.

Fascinating. I just released an adventure novel, Matamoros, set in Brownsville and Matamoros in 1863, and the Daily Ranchero's publisher is one of the minor characters. Here's a summary of the novel, if you're interested - available on Amazon.

By 1862 the Union had blockaded all Confederate ports. Just across the Rio Grande from Brownsville, Texas, Matamoros – a foreign port – was the only harbor where the South could ship its cotton to Europe, and smuggle in arms for the rebellion. So it became a haven for Yankee and Rebel spies, gunrunners and cotton smugglers, runaway slaves, Mexican guerreros, Texas Rangers and rogues of every stripe.

But Matamoros was also full of French Foreign Legionnaires and Austrian footsoldiers – because that same year, Napoleon III had invaded Mexico, to install Archduke Maximilian of Austria as Emperor. Makes me wonder if your Prussian photographer came in with Napoleon's army.

Set against the backdrop of two wars, this is the story of Clay – an expatriate Southern gentleman running a gambling hall – and Allie, his ex-con artist partner, bringing her cotton train to market – in a star-crossed affair that may or may not survive their conflicted allegiances amidst the tides of battle.

You can get it on Kindle or paperback at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082C1QHST/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Or I'm happy just to talk about the history here.

Back