Monuments Civil War researcher takes on a monumental project - NH

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Civil War researcher takes on a monumental project

By MELANIE PLENDA
Special to the Sunday News
Expired Image Removed
New Hampshire's only equestrian statue of a Civil War subject, Maj. General Fitz-John Porter of Portsmouth, was dedicated in 1906. It stands in Portsmouth's Haven Park. (GEORGE MORRISON)​
George Morrison was in the Concord village of Penacook three years ago when he took a photograph of a Civil War monument that included a puzzling inscription: "Shiloh (6./7.April 1862)."

That was too early in the war for New Hampshire troops to have reached Shiloh, in western Tennessee, thought Morrison, a retired Concord High School history teacher.
So the next day, he called the New Hampshire Historical Society to inquire about the monument, assuming the organization would have comprehensive information on the state's war monuments. To his surprise, it did not.
War monuments were privately funded, the Historical Society's librarian explained, so the state never compiled a list of them.

Further inquiries turned up partial lists compiled by private citizens, but nothing complete. His curiosity only heightened by the lack of information, Morrison decided to venture out from his Bow home to see what other area memorials were dedicated to those who served in the Civil War.
"I got out a road map, circled towns, and saddled the Mule," he said in a recent email interview, referring to his preferred mode of transportation, his motorcycle. "I thought, 'Maybe I'll find one today,' but gave no consideration into turning this into a 'project.'"
Yet that's exactly what his search became: a project of photographing and cataloging memorials and monuments dedicated to New Hampshire Civil War veterans, in and outside the state, from the 1860s through the 1930s.

For the rest: http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130622/NEWHAMPSHIRE02/130629756

Paid for from the estate of Robert Henry Eddy, a distant cousin from Boston.

Link to sculptor

Kelly also wrote a poem about Porter at Malvern Hill.

Back