Civil War reenactment is slowly fading away

Cost may also be an issue- the initial outlay for 'proper' gear for the ACW is substantially higher than for WW2 or Vietnam reenactors (which are both fortunate in having access to a lot of authentic gear), despite the protests that loaner gear is available for new members. I'm not familiar enough with the modern reenactment groups to know if 'farbism' is an issue, but I know when I was looking into ACW reenacting on this forum a few years back, any mention of the package deals available from Pakistan was met with stiff resistance (and hoots of derision LOL)...it may be that the price point for someone who's thinking about getting into it is just too high.

I think part of the problem is less disposable income. Besides an interest in history, one must have ducats to buy uniform and accoutrements as well as travel money to attend an event. Rendezvous has the same problem and the NMLRA Western Shoot in Phoenix has been cancelled.

The money part of is one thing, but a person must be really dedicated to the hobby to be willing to take up the better part of a weekend to participate. And that also includes a wife who would allow such a thing even though this could be considered quality time with the family. It appears to me that a lot of the younger generation is "not proud of the past". Crying shame !

We used to have a decent re-eanctment in Norway, but people tended to disappear as soon as they got kids and a family.
For today, I think kids are more interested in games and such instead of starting with re-enacting. If you are really interested, I dont think money is the big issue.

Money and time, sadly when someone finally has the disposable income do have an accurate kit and impression (not to mention firearm) they are older than the average soldier was at the time and we get regiments of old men. This may turn some people off from the hobby.

Time even more so and I am not talking time to go to events but the actual time to research your impression and the history around it. It takes a whole lot of time and dedication, to learn the specifics of what a soldier wore, used and how he lived. I have been involved in obsessive study for years trying to piece together what my ancestors in the west wore and what weapon they may have carried and I'm still not convinced I really know anything. I have a passion for this sort of thing but most do not and will never devote the proper time to it.

Most people who attend a reenactment (both spectators and reenactors) want to hear cannons fire and play war and are not concerned if the belt buckles are correct or the jacket is the proper material. This is fine I am not throwing rocks, but this has contributed to the decline in both quality and quantity. I believe the next big thing will be the increase of these incredible immersive events (take a look at the Liberty Rifles if you have not), but these are not for the general public and to the common person who is unaware that these events it will appear that reenacting is continuing to die out.

Lastly its politics as many of you have eluded to and this is by far the worst thing. There is a concerted effort for spineless political reasons to completely pass over the war altogether and just push it aside. It is hardly even taught in schools anymore (with the exception of a quick lesson on slavery). It is shameful that the most costly and nation altering conflict in our history is now becoming a footnote. To young people it is old and boring, they know nothing about it as there are no slick TV series, movies or video games about it for them to consume.

There was a wonderful turn out several weeks ago at our local event here in California and I am very happy to support events here in my state! The school days for the kiddos are always a big hit!

Edit: Took pic down off page.

Last edited:
We had a nice event here over the weekend. Had a good turnout of Rebs, as usual down here could have used some more Yankees especially on Sunday, those darn Yanks win on Saturday and go home. Got to meet @unionblue, it was a pleasure to meet you sir and thanks for coming out, hope to see you again soon. My other half took a bunch of pictures so when I get a few I'll post them. The Debbie Downers can sit behind their keyboards and say the hobby is dying but I can assure you there are still a good bunch of us out there still enjoying the hobby. Wish they would come out and see for themselves.

My other half took a bunch of pictures so when I get a few I'll post them.
I have more pics too from our event! Just got to get them off of the camera and on to the computer! Just been busy! Got some pics of the crowd to show the turn out. There were some really good presentations this year! Speakers on California's role in the CW and England's involvement (or lack of, hehe) ! Good stuff!

We had a nice event here over the weekend. Had a good turnout of Rebs, as usual down here could have used some more Yankees especially on Sunday, those darn Yanks win on Saturday and go home. Got to meet @unionblue, it was a pleasure to meet you sir and thanks for coming out, hope to see you again soon. My other half took a bunch of pictures so when I get a few I'll post them. The Debbie Downers can sit behind their keyboards and say the hobby is dying but I can assure you there are still a good bunch of us out there still enjoying the hobby. Wish they would come out and see for themselves.

@captaindrew ,

I had a great time at your event and really enjoyed talking with you and your wife while I was there. Sorry I had to leave at 2:45PM, but I had promised my wife I would be back at that time to help her out.

I want to comment on the medical event during Saturday's 2PM battle. You and all your fellow reenactors "did it right" when that situation came up. Both sides, upon hearing the signal of a medical issue on the field, stopped firing, took a knee, pointed their muskets in the air, and waited for the issue to be addressed. I congratulate ALL of you for putting safety first, and I noted, even the crowd of spectators understood the situation and applauded you all for doing such.

This id definitely a group of folks who do it right and care about one another's safety. Good job ALL!

Looking forward to joining you again at a future event.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

@captaindrew ,

I had a great time at your event and really enjoyed talking with you and your wife while I was there. Sorry I had to leave at 2:45PM, but I had promised my wife I would be back at that time to help her out.

I want to comment on the medical event during Saturday's 2PM battle. You and all your fellow reenactors "did it right" when that situation came up. Both sides, upon hearing the signal of a medical issue on the field, stopped firing, took a knee, pointed their muskets in the air, and waited for the issue to be addressed. I congratulate ALL of you for putting safety first, and I noted, even the crowd of spectators understood the situation and applauded you all for doing such.

This id definitely a group of folks who do it right and care about one another's safety. Good job ALL!

Looking forward to joining you again at a future event.

Sincerely,
Unionblue
Glad you had a good time and again hope to see you out again soon. The guys were on top of that situation. Luckily it wasn't near as bad as first feared and the guy was back in the ranks on Sunday. I'm not sure exactly what happened, he was on the other end of the line in a different unit. Word was he had some kind of weapon malfunction and took something in the face and hurt his shoulder somehow. Fortunately he was ok and like I said was back in the ranks the next day.

I think a core issue is cost.

I really don't want to make this political, but Fact is that the typical white middle class american have less more today than 20 and 30 years ago.
Wages have not gone up by much. Inflation make it close to negative and the price of housing is a lot higher. So is the price of college, healthcare and basic needs like food.
The end result is that people, especially people in the late 20 ties and 30 ties today simply have less money to use on hobbies... compared to in the late 1990ties.

I think a core issue is cost.

I really don't want to make this political, but Fact is that the typical white middle class american have less more today than 20 and 30 years ago.
Wages have not gone up by much. Inflation make it close to negative and the price of housing is a lot higher. So is the price of college, healthcare and basic needs like food.
The end result is that people, especially people in the late 20 ties and 30 ties today simply have less money to use on hobbies... compared to in the late 1990ties.

It is a factor.

When I started in 1992-3, I bought my repro 1861 Springfield rifle new at $365.00.

Can hardly buy a repro musket of any kind for that now, even used!

Money and time, sadly when someone finally has the disposable income do have an accurate kit and impression (not to mention firearm) they are older than the average soldier was at the time and we get regiments of old men. This may turn some people off from the hobby.

Time even more so and I am not talking time to go to events but the actual time to research your impression and the history around it. It takes a whole lot of time and dedication, to learn the specifics of what a soldier wore, used and how he lived. I have been involved in obsessive study for years trying to piece together what my ancestors in the west wore and what weapon they may have carried and I'm still not convinced I really know anything. I have a passion for this sort of thing but most do not and will never devote the proper time to it.

Most people who attend a reenactment (both spectators and reenactors) want to hear cannons fire and play war and are not concerned if the belt buckles are correct or the jacket is the proper material. This is fine I am not throwing rocks, but this has contributed to the decline in both quality and quantity. I believe the next big thing will be the increase of these incredible immersive events (take a look at the Liberty Rifles if you have not), but these are not for the general public and to the common person who is unaware that these events it will appear that reenacting is continuing to die out.

Lastly its politics as many of you have eluded to and this is by far the worst thing. There is a concerted effort for spineless political reasons to completely pass over the war altogether and just push it aside. It is hardly even taught in schools anymore (with the exception of a quick lesson on slavery). It is shameful that the most costly and nation altering conflict in our history is now becoming a footnote. To young people it is old and boring, they know nothing about it as there are no slick TV series, movies or video games about it for them to consume.

Lot, and lots, of truth in your post above.

Darn it.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Are the average American really this poor that money is a part of the problem for not getting into reenacting?
Just wondering. I am below average income for a normal average middle class family in Norway, but I can still afford to travel to other countries a couple of times a year.. Not to mention spending time on my hobbies, which include books, guns etc.
Just wondering, since money seems to be an issue more in the US than Europe when it comes to reenacting.

I've just discovered this thread and it's a really good question.
Here in the UK ACW reenacting has declined massively over the last 10 years or so, back in the 90's and early 2000's my old society could field on a good turn out between 150-200, compared to good turnouts in the States, ours are/were very small.
The reasons as to why there has been a steady decline has in the past caused many a heated argument, some quite vociferous. However some of us concluded that a general change in employment circumstances resulted in many peoples work pattern changing from a basic Monday to Friday 9-5, to 7 day rotational shift work, leaving alot less weekends available to reenact.
Also there was a seed change in attitude to children being taken away to skirmish weekends, whereas in the old days they were always welcome as long as they were in period clothing, unfortunately during the early 2000's a very different attitude began to take over which came from the top and that was that children were most certainly not welcome anymore. That edict meant that no new blood came through the ranks via their parents, the cadet force we created effectively ceased to exist and it stopped being fun.
My first reenactment was in April 1979 and from that time membership steadily grew and grew peaking in numbers around 1998/2000. I was heavily involved in many aspects of the society and my regiment, helping to build the best we could be only to see it crumble before us. I also think that the inability of ALL reenactment periods to modernise with the times and make allowances for peoples changing lifestyles is also another major contributory reason.
I think that if reenacting in general doesn't sort itself out soon and get with the times, I fear it will disappear up its own artillery barrel.

Are the average American really this poor that money is a part of the problem for not getting into reenacting?
Just wondering. I am below average income for a normal average middle class family in Norway, but I can still afford to travel to other countries a couple of times a year.. Not to mention spending time on my hobbies, which include books, guns etc.
Just wondering, since money seems to be an issue more in the US than Europe when it comes to reenacting.
I don't know about the average American, but most people I know in the rural, impoverished area I live are living paycheck to paycheck. I work in a public library, and some folks have to wait to get paid before they can pay a fine of a couple of dollars. And they're not just saying that to get out of paying. They faithfully pay their fine when they get their paycheck. There's no way they could afford to re-enact.

We used to have a decent re-eanctment in Norway, but people tended to disappear as soon as they got kids and a family. For today, I think kids are more interested in games and such instead of starting with re-enacting. If you are really interested, I dont think money is the big issue.

Unless also involved, kids and family normally cause a person to fall away from the hobby and if the interest still exists when the kids are older, then reenter it. It's good to see women/wives involved. You can learn a lot of things from them too (like how women used sugar water or some sort of grease to style their hair). The Civil War was more than just armies smashing each other to pieces. It was women volunteering as nurses or cooks. It was women in the factories rolling cartridges. It was saving urine for its acid. It was a nation at war with itself both at home and on the various fronts.

Cults have the same issue when members get married and become more concerned over their family's welfare than their previous dedication to the cult. But now I'm straying off topic.

You know Ian hit upon a point that makes a lot of sense. Unless you get youngsters involved there will be little or no future in reenacting. I can see it happening in other venues. Our church is a good example. A new generation has got to get involved. Or its only a matter of time till it's all over. Get the kids interested and involved.

Back