civil war railroad bridges

Portable saw mills:

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 5 [S# 5]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating Specially To Operations In Maryland, Northern Virginia, And West Virginia From August 1, 1861, To March 17, 1862.
CONFEDERATE CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#4

WAR DEPARTMENT, C. S. A.,
Richmond, November 7, 1861.
General JOSEPH E. JOHNSTON,
Commanding Department Northern Virginia:
SIR: It is with the greatest surprise and regret that I have read your letter of the 2d instant to the Adjutant-General. I had not the remotest idea that you expected any aid from Mr. Hunter or from this Department in relation to the winter quarters for the troops, nor can I conceive on what basis you entertained such expectation. On the 13th of last month I wrote you at considerable length on this subject, and in order to avoid delay forwarded my letter by Mr. James Hunter and Dr. John P. Hale.

The arrangements made by me were ample, and orders were given for securing ten portable saw-mills here in Richmond, for the purpose of sawing the lumber necessary for the huts. Aware of the urgency of the case, and unable to act without your co-operation, because of my ignorance of the locality where you proposed to shelter the army, I closed my letter with a distinct statement that the parties could not commence active work till you decided this question. It was plainly necessary that they should have some indication of the place where they were to locate the saw-mills before going to work. Several days afterwards Mr. Hunter and Dr. Hale returned here and reported verbally:

[excerpt]
5th. If lumber is required for roofing, and if there is no substitute for it possible, inform me what quantity is required in all, and what proportion of it, if any, can be obtained in your neighborhood.
The importance of affording proper shelter for our troops during the rigors of the coming winter can scarcely be overestimated, and knowing how great your own solicitude on the subject must be, I find it impossible to account for your long delay in noticing my letter of the 13th ultimo, and your failure to exhibit any sign of uneasiness at the non-appearance of the saw-mills or workmen you expected to furnish the lumber. I still entertain the hope, however, that my alarm may be unfounded, and that Major Cabell may be able to suggest some mode of shelter as reported to me, which may enable you to put the troops under cover without the use of lumber, and in time to avoid any great exposure or suffering.
I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,
J. P. BENJAMIN,
Acting Secretary of War.
-----

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 2 [S# 2] -- CHAPTER IX.
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN MARYLAND, PENNSYLVANIA, VIRGINIA, AND WEST VIRGINIA FROM APRIL 16 TO JULY 31, 1861.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE. ETC.--#1

WASHINGTON, April 22, 1861.
Col. O. F. SMITH,
Commanding Department of Washington, &c.:
COLONEL: I respectfully suggest that two companies of infantry and one field piece be immediately dispatched to the High Bridge over the Potomac, to establish themselves at the Maryland end of the bridge, with directions to hold it against any assault to the last extremity.

I also recommend that two companies of infantry and one field piece be established at once at the Georgetown end of the Aqueduct, to hold it as above.

Vedettes should be thrown out from there just as far as practicable on the Virginia side.
As soon as practicable I will send an Engineer officer to make defensive arrangements at these two places.

I have not been informed what arrangements are in effect to watch the Potomac, but think that armed steamers should be kept in motion, and that to one should be assigned the especial duty of watching the movements on the river between here and Alexandria.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
J. G. BARNARD,
Major of Engineers.
P. S.--The planks of the High Bridge should be ripped up for a distance of one hundred feet at some point of the length near the Maryland end.
================
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 2 [S# 2] -- CHAPTER IX.
Engagement at Big Bethel, or Bethel Church, Va.
No. 2. -- Report of Brig. Gen. E. W. Pierce, Massachusetts Militia.
CAMP HAMILTON,
June 12, 1861.
SIR: Sunday forenoon, June 9, 186l, I received an order requiring my attendance at your headquarters forthwith, where I arrived at about 11 o'clock, and found you and Colonel Duryea, of my command, consulting upon a plan of proposed attack upon places known as Big Bethel and Little Bethel, and received from Captain Butler, of your staff, the following plan of operations:

A regiment or battalion to march from Camp Hamilton (Duryea's), each to be supported by sufficient reserves, under arms in camp and in advance guard out in the line of march. Duryea to push out two pickets at l0 p.m., one also two and a half miles beyond Hampton, on the county road, but not so far as to alarm the enemy. This is important. Second picket half as far as the first; both pickets as much out of sight as possible. No one, whomsoever, to be allowed to pass out through their lines. Persons to be allowed to pass inwards, unless it appeared they intend to go around about and dodge through the point. At 12 o'clock p.m. (midnight) Colonel Duryea will march his regiment, with twenty rounds cartridges, in the county road toward Little Bethel; scows to be provided to ferry them across Hampton Creek.

March to be rapid, but not hurried.
A howitzer, with canister and shrapnel, to go, and a wagon with planks and materials to repair New Market Bridge. Duryea to have the 200 rifles; he will pick the men to whom they are intrusted. Rockets to be thrown up from Newport News. Notify Commodore Pendergrast of this, to prevent general alarm. Newport News movement to be made somewhat later, as the distance is somewhat less. If we find the enemy and surprise them, we will fire a volley if desirable, not reload, and go ahead with the bayonet. As the attack is to be made at night, or the gray of the morning, and in two detachments, our people should have some token, say a white rag, or nearest approach to white attainable, on the left arm. Perhaps the detachments who are engaged in the expedition should be smaller than a regiment.

If we capture the Little Bethel men, push on to Big Bethel and similarly capture them. Burn up both the Bethels. Blow up, if brick. To protect our rear in case we take either field pieces, and the enemy should march the main body, if there are any, to recover them, it would be well to have a party of competent artillerists, regular or otherwise, to handle the captured guns on the retirement of our main body; also spikes to Spike them. George Scott is to have a revolver. And in pursuance of these orders is issued the following order early Sunday evening:
GENERAL ORDERS, No. 12.
HEADQUARTERS CAMP HAMILTON,
June 9, 1861.
A plan of attack to-night is herewith inclosed and forwarded to Colonel Duryea, commanding Fifth Regiment of New York State Volunteers, who will act accordingly. Colonel Townsend, commanding Third Regiment of New York State Volunteers, will march his command in support of Colonel Duryea. Colonel Carr, commanding the Second Regiment New York State Volunteers, will detach the artillery company of his regiment with their field pieces, and take their position at the burned bridge, near Hampton. Colonels Allen, Czar, and McChesney will hold their entire command in readiness, fully prepared to march at a moment's notice. All the troops will be supplied with one days rations, and each man with twenty rounds of ball cartridges; and, that no mistake may be made, all the troops, as they charge, will shout "Boston."

Colonels Allen, Carr, Townsend, Duryea, and McChesney will govern themselves accordingly.
By command of Brig. Gen. E. W. Pierce:
R. A. PIERCE,
Brigade Major.
[excerpt]
=======

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XI/1 [S# 12]
THE PENINSULAR CAMPAIGN, VIRGINIA
March 17-September 2, 1862.(*)
No. 2. -- Reports of Brig. Gen. John G. Barnard, U.S. Army, Chief Engineer of operations from May 23, 1861, to August 15, 1862.

Washington, January 26, 1863.
GENERAL: In compliance with the request of Major-General McClellan, I make the following report of the engineer operations of the Army of the Potomac executed under my direction as chief engineer of that army from the time of its organization to the date at which it was withdrawn from the James River:
[extensive excerpt]
By the rise of the Chickahominy the two bridges built by General Sumner became impracticable by the night of the 31st. The bridges at Bottom's Bridge with difficulty were preserved from destruction, but the rising waters overflowed the adjacent road, and soon those bridges became useless for wagons or horses. Fortunately the railroad bridge had been repaired, and by this alone the left wing of the army was supplied. By means of planks laid between the rails, infantry and, with some risk, horses could pass. This for several days was the only communication between the two wings of the army.
[excerpt]
Two days after the battle of the 1st--viz, June 3--I was directed to join General Sumner's headquarters temporarily. Previous to leaving I had urgently recommended the construction of a bridge at a point not far below the lower trestle bridge, where the débouchés on each side could be completed out of view of the enemy and under the protection of our own forces, now holding Gelding's house. General Woodbury and Colonel Alexander made an exploration of the stream under direct orders from headquarters, and selected a point for a bridge favorable enough otherwise, but failing in the important object of bringing the two wings of the army into immediate connection, it being but 300 or 400 yards above Sumner's upper bridge. This bridge was built over the stream upon framed trestles; through the swamp it was supported by cribs. The approaches to the bridge over the low bottom lands were either raised corduroy or on the north side simply earth raised 2 or 3 feet, the soil being here sandy, with a layer of brush 1 foot below the upper surface, deep lateral ditches being made. The whole structure of the bridge and approaches was about 1,400 yards long. The trestle-work and crib work bridge was mostly done by troops of the Engineer Brigade, under Woodbury; the approaches on the north by the Ninth and Twenty-second Massachusetts Regiments, Colonels Cass and Gove, both of whom were killed in the battles following; those on the south side by the Third Vermont. The bridge was ready for the passage of teams on the 14th, covered with earth, and the approaches entirely completed on the 17th. The bridge proper was 1,080 feet long, roadway 11 feet wide, number of clubs 40, of framed trestles 6. Simultaneously two infantry bridges were made across the swamp by the Engineer Brigade--one a short distance below the lower trestle bridge, and one nearly opposite Golding's, where an old summer ford had been found, and where General Naglee had commenced a bridge previous to the battle of Fair Oaks.

To complete the history of bridges, I would add that on my return from General Sumner's headquarters I still urged the necessity of a more direct communication, practicable for all arms, between the two wings of the army, the two trestle bridges having been virtually abandoned. The point suggested by me being considered too much exposed, the commanding general himself selected a point somewhat lower down, where the débouché was entirely covered by our lines near Golding's, and this bridge was commenced by Captain Duane's Engineer Battalion (assisted by troops of General Porter's and General W. F. Smith's commands) on the 10th or 11th. The structure was about equal in magnitude to that already described. It was finished on the 18th or 19th. Besides the work described, detachments of the Engineer Brigade or Engineer Battalion were at work on the corduroy communication with the bridges commenced the night of 31st, repairing and corduroying road, rebuilding Bottom's Bridge, &c.
We had, June 19, the following bridges:
Upper trestle bridge. Débouchés held by enemy, and incomplete on his side.

The New Bridge. Two pontoon bridges, Captain Duane having built a second one alongside the one completed June 1. The road was held on south side of Chickahominy by the enemy.

The lower trestle bridge. Débouchés held by enemy, and incomplete on his side.

The foot bridge. Available for infantry under certain circumstances. It was on the shortest line between the two wings of the army.

Duane's bridge. A fine structure, practicable for all arms, and affording a very direct communication.

The infantry bridge (of Woodbury). Available for infantry. Woodbury and Alexander's bridge. For all arms.

Sumner's upper bridge, or the grapevine bridge. This had been put in condition to be used in emergency by all arms.

Sumner's lower bridge I think had never been repaired.

The railroad bridge was the means of bringing the most of the supplies to the left wing. Bottom's Bridge was kept up and the tete-de-pont held.

[extensive excerpt]

Respectfully submitted.
J. G. BARNARD,
Brig. Gen. and late Chief Engineer Army of the Potomac.
General R. B. MARCY,
Chief of Staff.
-----

Perhaps I'm being obtuse (happens), but wouldn't planking at the time, in the South, imply that it was most likely a single pass railroad bridge? (Not that the other possibilities aren't fascinating/intriguing.) If a force planks it, then they want to get their men, artillery, wagon train, and cavalry across while still having rail access.

I agree though that it would be tough on the teams/wagons/carriages. Probably slow going, and the rail bridges are typically long, and necessitating wheel/axle repair on the other side for some of those using it--so you need a pull-off, drag-off for this.

I think the last time I saw the various rail types in use during the ACW it was at the Kennesaw railroad museum--worthwhile tour by the way. I don't remember details of the rail cross section other than noting the geometry of the rails was far more diverse than I anticipated. I think this also factored into CSN ironclad designs that used rails as armour, which was of interest to me at the time.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXIV/1 [S# 36]
Operations In Mississippi And West Tennessee, Including Those In Arkansas And Louisiana. Connected With The Siege Of Vicksburg.--January 20-August 10, 1863.
No. 5.--Report of Lieut. Col. James H Wilson, Assistant Inspector-General, U.S. Army, Chief of Topographical Engineers, of Operations April 24-May 11.

HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE TENNESSEE,
Smith's Plantation, Madison Parish, La., April 27, 1863.
Lieut. Col. J. H. WILSON:
COLONEL: In accordance with your instructions, received this morning, I proceeded to Vidal and Negro Bayous, to inspect the bridges constructed across them, and have the honor to report as follows:

The bridge over Bayou Vidal is formed of a large flat, 100 feet long and 24 feet wide, anchored across the main channel of the bayou by a cable and chain on the southern end and braced against a tree on the northern. Ties of timber, trimmed to 6 or 8 inches thickness, are laid over the gunwales, upon which rest 8 by 12 stringpieces, supporting the planks. The next span toward either shore rests on a 12 by 12 timber, notched half into trees on either side, pinned and secured by chains. There are three more spans toward both shores, resting on trestles, each formed of four uprights, 8 inches square, secured at top and bottom to squared logs. The roadway is confined by heavy beams, pinned to the planks and string-pieces, and on the north end a wooden railway has been formed, which is, however, too smooth on the ascent to be of any advantage.

The bridge is 362 feet long, 240 feet resting on trestles and immovable, the balance afloat. If the bayou should rise or fall more than 18 inches, the connection between the floating and fixed part would be insecure, and the ascent and descent almost impracticable. The roadway is not laid exactly along the center of the flat, but rather down stream, which causes a slight sideway slope. The flat has sagged considerably, rising at the middle; but whether this is an old defect or caused by overloading the ends, I cannot say, as I could not examine it very closely, the bridge being crowded by the passage of troops. As long as the bayou remains at its present stage, I think the bridge perfectly secure.

The bridge across Negro Bayou is 550 feet long, curved up stream, and rests on sixteen flats, mostly new, from 25 to 40 feet long and 12 feet wide, with landings on trestles on either side. The boats are anchored to a 2 l/2-inch line, stretched from shore to shore, and supported in the center by a tree. Some of the boats are fastened directly to the cable passing over their bows; others are connected with it by short ropes. The connection with both shores is effected in a manner similar to that of the Bayou Vidal bridge, including some ties resting in notches cut into trees.

Another bridge, 150 feet long, has been constructed across a slough between the two bayous. It rests on a center pier, formed of logs, placed crosswise, and on trestles on either side of the pier. The roadway is formed of split logs, and appears sufficiently firm.

Squads of pioneers are stationed at all three bridges to repair such damages as may occur. On account of the heavy rain and continual passage of troops and trains, l was unable to obtain more minute measurements.

I reported on the condition of the bridges to Major Hickenlooper, acting engineer on General McPherson's staff.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
H. A. ULFFERS,
Assistant Engineer.
[excerpt]
At about 8.30 a.m. I applied for a brigade of infantry to do the work, and was informed by General McClernand that it should be furnished immediately. My request, under General Grant's order: was renewed several times, and each time I was informed that the detail had been made. It did not report till 12 m. The houses were torn down, materials brought to the water, approaches prepared, and the bridge completed, so that by 4.30 p.m. the troops were in full motion across it. The stream at this place is about 5 feet deep. This bridge was simply a continuous raft 166 feet long, 12 feet wide, with three rows of large mill-beams lying across the current, and the intervals between them closely filled by buoyant timber; the whole firmly tied together by a cross-floor or deck of light 2-inch stuff. The roadway, the proper width, was made by laying the same kind of material parallel with the axis of the bridge. Side rails of 5-inch scantling were laid to keep the teams on the proper track. The approaches were over quicksand; were corduroyed and covered with earth. The abutments were formed by building a slight crib-work, and filling in with rails covered by sand.

[extensive excerpt]
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
J. H. WILSON,
First Lieut. Engrs., Lieut. Col. and Asst. Insp.
Capt. F. E. PRIME,
Chief Engineer, Department of the Tennessee.
-----

Back