Ami's SOA Civil War Quilts: Era, Commemorative, Inspired

ham_quilts_95_40.jpg

8-Pointed Star Quilt

Made by Mariah Etheridge Riddle [1829-1884]

Cotton
c. 1860
88.5” x 88.5”

This quilt originates from Searcy County, Arkansas and features an eight pointed star with a swag tulip appliqué border.

http://www.historicarkansas.org/collections/quilts.aspx?id=113

View attachment 36595

Rare Civil War Flag Crib Quilt

American, dated 1862

Composed of tiny triangles hand-pieced together; six white stars are appliqued on each of the two flags; stripes form the border. Some loss in dark brown patches. Mounted on a stretcher. 38 1/4 by 32 1/4 inches

SOLD. $5,938

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2014/americana-vo-n09100/lot.318.html
Incredibly intricate sewing required on this one. Can't even imagine all of the hours that went into it.

This is from Portland, Maine- under the heading ' Community Quilts', where women came together as a community to accomplish something patriotic during the war. That would be what the Gun Boat Quilts were, if you think about it.

This is dated 1864.
View attachment 36797
This quilt appears to have writing in every block. I'd love to know what has been written there. Many thanks for adding these to the collection.

Chellars, these are charming and interesting. I would have never searched for quilts so thanks for posting them.
Incredibly intricate sewing required on this one. Can't even imagine all of the hours that went into it.
Those are all really amazing examples. Thanks for posting the photos !

Believe it or not, I like quilts and have always found the notion of women getting together to assemble them somehow comforting.
Wow. I'll have to find the photos from Jefferson's symposium last year. They had several period quilts on display--and they were pretty amazing. Thanks for doing this, chellers!
Yes, thank you! It's been kinda all over the place until it received a guiding hand. Anyone on a Google search will find this single thread here instead of pitiful little bits and pieces- very cool.
Thanks, all, for your kind words, and beautiful contributions. This is OUR collection; all CWT members with pictures of Civil War era quilts are welcome and encouraged to post here. If you're not sure how to post a photo, please ask a moderator or forum host. They are glad to provide instructions.

Back