Ami's SOA Civil War Quilts: Era, Commemorative, Inspired

Ok, have not read the thread, but I am thinking this is where I can post a picture. When my Mom and I were clearing out my Grandparents house..Michigan..was a livery and boarding house..tons, tons of stuff. I brought home a quilt top. I stuffed it with an old quilt that I had and hand tied them all together. Now, it needs quite a bit of mending on the seams that are coming apart. I plan to do that, just mending over the top of the seams..because I am not untying this thing! Anyway, I know for a fact that my Grandmother did not make this quilt, so it stands to reason that it was GGma who did..and her folks remembered/lived the Civil War. I don’t think the fabric is that old, but I don’t know. Opinions? Would it pass at a re-enactment? Big enough to act as a sleeping bag btw.

Oops, here’s the image

AD6F6348-481F-4B43-9B26-EB88A6D2BFDB.jpeg

I am NOT a quilter , but my girlfriend is . She also knows a lot about historic quilts and fabrics . She said the material looks like it is from the 1940s or 50s.
I don’t know. This was packed in with stuff from around the 20’s in the attic. Some of the figured fabric does seem to clock in the 40’s. Some striped cotton that is falling apart I think is older. All I really care about is if it could be used at a re-enactment without someone losing their nut and calling out the farb minders.

Oh, what a lovely keepsake! Lots of pretty calicos!
It is so hard to date quilts Mr. V! A professional would be able to help you with knowing just what you found in your grandmother's things. Maybe contact your local quilt club for recommendations? Maybe an internet search could at least date the blocks used but, again, that does not qualify it much. I also have a vintage or antique quilt top I need to have looked at but for now it is folded on my quilt rack awaiting the attention it deserves.

I don’t know. This was packed in with stuff from around the 20’s in the attic. Some of the figured fabric does seem to clock in the 40’s. Some striped cotton that is falling apart I think is older. All I really care about is if it could be used at a re-enactment without someone losing their nut and calling out the farb minders.

Late seeing this, sorry! I'm not an expert on quilts either but these patterned, pieced quilts have been with us since the first woman figured out how to make ' warm ' mean ' pretty ' while doing it on a budget. It's only a guess, can't imagine you'd get called out for it?

It's a wonderful find no matter the date, must have been like finding the best prize ever in a box of historical Cracker Jacks.

Late seeing this, sorry! I'm not an expert on quilts either but these patterned, pieced quilts have been with us since the first woman figured out how to make ' warm ' mean ' pretty ' while doing it on a budget. It's only a guess, can't imagine you'd get called out for it?

It's a wonderful find no matter the date, must have been like finding the best prize ever in a box of historical Cracker Jacks.
At the time, I don’t think my Mom and I were all that excited. There were two, I took this one, because I thought it was pretty. The other one sold to an antique dealer. My Grandmothers house was stacked to the ceiling with stuff..and it all had to be sorted and priced..and then there was the ghost...

On our recent trip to Greeneville, Tn. they have a "Follow the Quilt Trail". The trail is a labor of love by area artists. It is a mission to share Greene County history as seen through quilts. The quilt blocks represent actual heirloom quilts from local families. Each block's story is on a plaque and on line at www.QuiltTrail.org

Check it out as they are awesome.

Thanks Chellers. Functional art, the quilt. Hand quilting seems to be a dying art, and to find the old ones like those you have presented are real treasures.
Ah, but there are still those who hand quilt. Unfortunately, as hands age and the old bugaboo, arthritis, sets in, it has indeed become less of an artform. The advent of thicker, utility quilting thread that shows more, has helped it revive.

On our recent trip to Greeneville, Tn. they have a "Follow the Quilt Trail". The trail is a labor of love by area artists. It is a mission to share Greene County history as seen through quilts. The quilt blocks represent actual heirloom quilts from local families. Each block's story is on a plaque and on line at www.QuiltTrail.org

Check it out as they are awesome.
Thank you so much for the link to the quilt trail!

Oh, what a lovely keepsake! Lots of pretty calicos!
It is so hard to date quilts Mr. V! A professional would be able to help you with knowing just what you found in your grandmother's things. Maybe contact your local quilt club for recommendations? Maybe an internet search could at least date the blocks used but, again, that does not qualify it much. I also have a vintage or antique quilt top I need to have looked at but for now it is folded on my quilt rack awaiting the attention it deserves.
If your quilt top is indeed old, then it needs to be folded with archival quality tissue paper between the folds and stored in a place away from light and heat. When a quilt hangs, it weakens the threads of the fabric. This would especially be true for antique fabrics. A book entitled, "Clues in the Calico" by Brackman is a great resource. I would have an appraiser who deals in antique quilts look at it, however. Many craft stores now carry archival/acid-free tissue paper for your use. Call ahead. You may even be able to use a coupon from Joann's or Michaels. As an afterthought, I would also not allow the quilt fabric to touch any wood during storage. There are acids in the wood that will deteriorate the fabric. I took classes from a Viking sewing store/quilt shop a number of years ago, and there was a quilt appraiser employed there. She gave us some tips.

Enjoying this thread, and remembered one of my old State of Alabama publications. Though not a Civil War era piece, the magazine was put out by the Alabama Historical Commission, in conjunction with National Parks and Preservation funding.
I photographed the cover ( edited out the foxing ) and inserted the description below. Quite impressive.....

8FE591BF-1872-447E-8BA0-765008575911.jpeg

Back