Ami's SOA Civil War Quilts: Era, Commemorative, Inspired

This is such a wonderful thread. Chellers just loved quilts. Our forever thanks to her for doing this thread. Thanks to all who added to it. This thread is a tribute to her memory.
Yes, along with Hummingbirds her love of old quilts is the way I best remember her time here. It was a great thread and she carefully kept it going in the right direction.

Remember thinking it a genius idea to have ' collected ' the quilts in one thread. What a perfect sticky for Ladies Tea! Not, please know, that women's work was merely domestic. There are stories surrounding a lot of these pieces involved in a family's journey through the war or our country's on one side or another. I know of one which was buried and dug up, 3 years later, another dyed red when a wagon overturned in the Red River, evacuating- countless flag quilts, a number of patriotic quilts featuring scenes from the war and the famous, post war ' Reconciliation Quilt '.

quilt patch.jpg

Here you are, Chellers. This makes me smile, thinking of you. With great thanks for these 19 pages, and much love.

This is a Story Quilt ', era, unfortunately orphaned from Pinterest- looking for the story! Story quilts of course relate a life, or series of events or sometimes a book or Bible lesson. It's varied. We have several from the war, hoping to find this is connected, it's certainly era- dresses and hair maybe pre-war.

quilt story.jpg

Chellers would love these. She'd also get the patterns right- I'm not sure? Star of Bethlehem and a variation on Flying Geese? Can you imagine piecing and sewing a quilt for a doll's bed? Pinterest, forgot I had these. Can't find the originals but suspect they'd be museum pieces.

toy bed quilt.jpg

And a toy rope bed!!

toy bed quilt 2.jpg

There's two here- one folded at the bottom of the bed, isn't the whole thing wonderful?

Chellers would love these. She'd also get the patterns right- I'm not sure? Star of Bethlehem and a variation on Flying Geese? Can you imagine piecing and sewing a quilt for a doll's bed? Pinterest, forgot I had these. Can't find the originals but suspect they'd be museum pieces.

View attachment 294565
And a toy rope bed!!

View attachment 294564
There's two here- one folded at the bottom of the bed, isn't the whole thing wonderful?
My club has a very dedicated group of ladies who work on doll quilts. They gift these small little quilts with a baby doll included to children in need and hospitals. It can be very delicate work depending on the pattern and design. A husband was even hand making wooded cradles to go with the gifts. This one pictures absolutely lovely!

Thanks tons, chellers! We keep posting this kind of thing here and there without cohesiveness- nice to see a thread. :nerd: That emoticon means it makes an awful lot of common sense and thank you! :smile: That one also means thank you, only with a smile.

I'm going to PM a member here whose lineage includes a quilt I won't shut up about, an original design for the Confederacy PLUS a story attached through the war, maybe deserves its own book. OH my gosh- maybe they should!!

This one is called The Reconciliation Quilt, it's in a thread somewhere, won't take up room by repeating. It's a theme in the makeup though .Lucinda Ward Honstain, resident of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, artist.

View attachment 35421
This one is gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing these.

This one is gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing these.

One of our best loved members began this thread. She was crazy about hummingbirds, all things ACW, the Woolsey sisters and quilts. Until this thread there wasn't anywhere we could say " Hey! look at this old treasure! " without the thread getting lost eventually. She passed away not long ago and we sure miss her but it's nice being able to say " Hey Chellers, look at this one! "

One of our best loved members began this thread. She was crazy about hummingbirds, all things ACW, the Woolsey sisters and quilts. Until this thread there wasn't anywhere we could say " Hey! look at this old treasure! " without the thread getting lost eventually. She passed away not long ago and we sure miss her but it's nice being able to say " Hey Chellers, look at this one! "

I'm sorry to hear that, and grateful to her for starting this thread. So glad these wonderful items can be brought forth again, admired, and learned from.
Thanks for keeping it up!

Back