Civil War Prints

orphan1864

Cadet
I'm not sure if this is ok or not, but I'm trying to get some information on who to talk to or find out if there is any interest on here. Recently, my father passed away after a long bout with illness. My dad always had a passion for the War Between the States, and amassed quite a collection of Civil War prints...I still need to go over and do an official inventory but my estimate is he has over 100 prints from the likes of John Paul Strain, Mort Kunstler, and Rick Reeves. Some of these are framed and matted, but the majority are loose and in protective plastic sheets. Lots of AP's and even some artist signed. Again, I need to do a full inventory, but some of the highlights include:

Parker's Crossroads (AP) - JPS

Stonewall's Return (AP) - JPS

Magnolia Morning - MK

The Orphans I (beautifully framed) - RR

Again, if a post like this isn't allowed, I apologize. I just have all of these magnificent prints and no idea what to do with them. I'd like to find good homes or people that would appreciate them as opposed to a dealer or on consignment, but need to do something. If you or anyone you know would be interested or may have some idea who I can contact; please feel free to reach out to me or post on here. It would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerest thanks,
orphan1864

crossroads.jpeg

magnolia.jpg

orphans.jpg

stonewall.jpg

First allow me to echo 111thNYSV and say that we are all very sorry for your loss. I hesitate to get involved in helping you price these. Basically they are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them and that varies wildly.

I would like to suggest that you contact Jim Kehoe who owns the Antietam Gallery, 17320 Shepherdstown Pike, Sharpsburg, MD 21782 phone: (301) 432-5868. He may be able to help you out, but his time is valuable. You will have to figure out a way to work efficiently with him.

I have known and conducted business with Jim for many years. He is skilled, knowledgeable, has a keen eye and is extremely honest and trustworthy. I have left several valuable items with him to frame for me over the years and have never been disappointed. I count him as a valued friend.

I’m sorry about your father, @orphan1864 May he be at peace.

Sounds like you have some fantastic prints. I have no idea what any of it might be worth but when you decide what you want to do with them I’m sure many would be interested.

Again, thank you guys for the kind words.

I was able to go out to his old house very briefly today and maybe get about half of his collection written down. For any of you interested I’m including the ones I’ve got so far on this post...also plan on reaching out to the suggested parties above...again thank you

Rick Reeves

Brice‘s Crossroads AP #27 of 50 - in plastic protective sleeve with COA

1st Tennessee - 2 prints, didn’t get their numbers, in plastic sleeves with COA

45th Georgia - 1 print, in plastic sleeve with COA

Blood of Boone - framed, need to find the paperwork on it and all framed prints but that shouldn’t take much, he was meticulous with records

Shiloh - framed

Devil on the River - framed

That Devil Forrest - print in protective sleeve

Orphans I - framed

Mort Kunstler

Sharpsburg War Council - print in protective sleeve with COA

John Paul Strain

Message for Jackson - print in protective sleeve with COA

The War Council - #441 print in protective sleeve with COA

Lightning at Catlett’s Station - framed and print in protective sleeve with COA

The Spring Campaign - print in protective sleep with COA

The Road to Fort Royal - #1394 print in protective sleeve with COA