Civil War Poem

When first the bugle sounded, to call us forth to arms, I left my native country and its endearing
charms.
And hastened to Virginia, the land of brave and free, to fight for independence for rights and
liberty.
Twas on a little river called the Chickahominy, there I first met the Yankees and fought for
liberty.
For seven days we fought them, our victory was complete; we made the great McClellan and his big
gun-boats retreat.
Whilst in this mighty struggle a wound I did receive, which caused me for a season my friends in
arms to leave.
To friends and home I hastened and when my wounds were healed, again I joined my comrades upon that
“tented field.”
Then soon to North Carolina we went to meet the foe; but Foster would not fight us, so there it was
no go.
Again to old Virginia we went to meet old Meade, who tried to capture Richmond, though he never did
succeed.
Twas the first month of summer near Fredericksburg that we, set out for Pennsylvania, Billy Yank
again to see.
At Gettysburg we met them, the struggle was severe. My friends fell thick around me, among them a
nephew dear.
He gallantly was leading his band of soldiers brave, but on that July evening sank into a hero’s
grave.
Here in the din of battle, mid shrapnel, ball, and shell, we charged and drove the Federals, though
many heroes fell.
Then back to old Virginia went officers and men, and spent the dreary winter upon the Rapidan.
And when that dreary winter had fully passed away, again we met the enemy, twas on the fifth of May.
There Grant with all his forces, in the Wilderness we met, we gave them such a scourging they never
will forget.
Then we to Spotsylvania quite speedily did go, once more to meet the Yankee, our cruel northern foe.
Here many days we fought them, the battle raging sore, we gave them the worst thrashing they ever
had before.
Yet here some noble soldiers, heroically they fell, among who was our brave General we all did love
so well.
Next at Hanover Junction we met Ulysses’ host, but here he failed to charge us, although he made the
boast,
That he would rout our army and straight to Richmond go in spite of all the efforts made by his
Rebel foe.
Soon after this we left them and went to another place and soon met up with Hunter and gave him such
a chase.
That he will oft remember till time shall be no more, till Yankees cease from fighting and cannon
cease to roar.
So fleet was “Black Dave “Hunter, we could not him overtake, so down the Shenandoah a pleasant trip
we made.
Whilst in this lovely valley kind friends we daily met, and though I’m from them parted, I will not
them forget.
We went to Harper’s Ferry, Yankee Bill to see, and scared them as completely as Yankee Bill could
be.
We got their pork and bacon, their beef and flour to, and sugar by the bushel we for our rations
drew.
We also drew much coffee, molasses candy to, spice, ginger, salt and pepper, and dainties not a few.
Here each poor ragged Rebel had plenty of the best; each ate and drank aplenty, and calmly took a
rest.
Our feasting over, we hastened as soon you’ll understand, to wade the green Potomac
And go to Maryland.
Here we found many cattle, fat mules, and horses too and friends both kind and clever to their
southern country true.
We went to Frederick City, near which we met the Yanks, and routed them completely near Monocacy’s
banks.
Then we in best of spirits did haste near Washington that scared old Abe so badly that from his home
he run.
I guess he thought he’d rather be back in Illinois, where he was a rail-splinter when he was but a
boy.
Then Jubal E. retired to old Virginia’s shore, and near the Shenandoah we rested one time more.
But old Sheridan quite angry, resolved to set a trap for General Jubal Early, it was there at
Snicker’s Gap.
But Early was not sleeping and soon this trap did see, there he met the Union forces and gained the
victory.
Then up the Shenandoah to Fisher’s Hill we went, and in this pleasant valley some pleasant days were
spent.
Old Sheridan advancing, the Valley we went down and badly thrashed the Yankees one evening at
Kernstown.
Through Winchester we drove them; the people did rejoice to see the Yanks skedaddle before their
Rebel boys.
To Bunker Hill we hastened, pursuit was not in vain, we pressed the Yanks so closely they burned
their wagon-train.
From Martinsburg we drove them, they could not make a stand; We made them cross the river back into
Maryland.
With Sheridan defeated, to Bunker Hill we go, with friends both kind and generous, to rest a day or
so.
Near this delightful station we bivouacked many days, and feasted on nice apples, potatoes, and
green maize.
But in the mild September near Winchester we met, the largest Yankee army seen in the Valley yet.
Though here they us outnumbered, at least four Yanks to one, we made the boasting bluecoats in sad
confusion run.
While we the Yanks were chasing, they fell upon our flanks; and with their mighty numbers did
quickly break our ranks.
Here in this mighty struggle, while friends were falling fast, our General Rodes was wounded and
quickly breathed his last.
Thus being overpowered, we slowly did retire, exposed to grape and shrapnel, and to a galling fire.
Here I was badly wounded and left the battlefield, on which we were outnumbered and therefore forced
to yield.
Then I was sent to Lynchburg for treatment and for ease; here friends made every effort my
sufferings to appease.
Soon I obtained a furlough and soon did haste away, to friends, to home and parents awhile with them
to stay.
For many weeks I suffered, at length my wounds were healed, and then again I hastened back to the
“tented field. “

Written by Thomas Charles Land of Wilkes County, NC. Thomas began the war a private in Co.B 1st NC. Infantry. He was seriously wounded at Malvern Hill July 1,1862. While furloughed home he was commissioned 3rd Lieut Co.K 53rd NC Infantry. The " dear nephew " he mentions being killed at Gettysburg was his Captain, William J. Miller. He was promoted to 2nd Lieut following Gettysburg and seriously wounded again at 3rd Winchester. He resigned his commission on April 1,1865. A prolific writer for most of his life, he is credited by some to being the author of the words to " The Ballad of Tom Dooley " made famous by the Kingston Trio.

When first the bugle sounded, to call us forth to arms, I left my native country and its endearing
charms.
And hastened to Virginia, the land of brave and free, to fight for independence for rights and
liberty.
Twas on a little river called the Chickahominy, there I first met the Yankees and fought for
liberty.
For seven days we fought them, our victory was complete; we made the great McClellan and his big
gun-boats retreat.
Whilst in this mighty struggle a wound I did receive, which caused me for a season my friends in
arms to leave.
To friends and home I hastened and when my wounds were healed, again I joined my comrades upon that
“tented field.”
Then soon to North Carolina we went to meet the foe; but Foster would not fight us, so there it was
no go.
Again to old Virginia we went to meet old Meade, who tried to capture Richmond, though he never did
succeed.
Twas the first month of summer near Fredericksburg that we, set out for Pennsylvania, Billy Yank
again to see.
At Gettysburg we met them, the struggle was severe. My friends fell thick around me, among them a
nephew dear.
He gallantly was leading his band of soldiers brave, but on that July evening sank into a hero’s
grave.
Here in the din of battle, mid shrapnel, ball, and shell, we charged and drove the Federals, though
many heroes fell.
Then back to old Virginia went officers and men, and spent the dreary winter upon the Rapidan.
And when that dreary winter had fully passed away, again we met the enemy, twas on the fifth of May.
There Grant with all his forces, in the Wilderness we met, we gave them such a scourging they never
will forget.
Then we to Spotsylvania quite speedily did go, once more to meet the Yankee, our cruel northern foe.
Here many days we fought them, the battle raging sore, we gave them the worst thrashing they ever
had before.
Yet here some noble soldiers, heroically they fell, among who was our brave General we all did love
so well.
Next at Hanover Junction we met Ulysses’ host, but here he failed to charge us, although he made the
boast,
That he would rout our army and straight to Richmond go in spite of all the efforts made by his
Rebel foe.
Soon after this we left them and went to another place and soon met up with Hunter and gave him such
a chase.
That he will oft remember till time shall be no more, till Yankees cease from fighting and cannon
cease to roar.
So fleet was “Black Dave “Hunter, we could not him overtake, so down the Shenandoah a pleasant trip
we made.
Whilst in this lovely valley kind friends we daily met, and though I’m from them parted, I will not
them forget.
We went to Harper’s Ferry, Yankee Bill to see, and scared them as completely as Yankee Bill could
be.
We got their pork and bacon, their beef and flour to, and sugar by the bushel we for our rations
drew.
We also drew much coffee, molasses candy to, spice, ginger, salt and pepper, and dainties not a few.
Here each poor ragged Rebel had plenty of the best; each ate and drank aplenty, and calmly took a
rest.
Our feasting over, we hastened as soon you’ll understand, to wade the green Potomac
And go to Maryland.
Here we found many cattle, fat mules, and horses too and friends both kind and clever to their
southern country true.
We went to Frederick City, near which we met the Yanks, and routed them completely near Monocacy’s
banks.
Then we in best of spirits did haste near Washington that scared old Abe so badly that from his home
he run.
I guess he thought he’d rather be back in Illinois, where he was a rail-splinter when he was but a
boy.
Then Jubal E. retired to old Virginia’s shore, and near the Shenandoah we rested one time more.
But old Sheridan quite angry, resolved to set a trap for General Jubal Early, it was there at
Snicker’s Gap.
But Early was not sleeping and soon this trap did see, there he met the Union forces and gained the
victory.
Then up the Shenandoah to Fisher’s Hill we went, and in this pleasant valley some pleasant days were
spent.
Old Sheridan advancing, the Valley we went down and badly thrashed the Yankees one evening at
Kernstown.
Through Winchester we drove them; the people did rejoice to see the Yanks skedaddle before their
Rebel boys.
To Bunker Hill we hastened, pursuit was not in vain, we pressed the Yanks so closely they burned
their wagon-train.
From Martinsburg we drove them, they could not make a stand; We made them cross the river back into
Maryland.
With Sheridan defeated, to Bunker Hill we go, with friends both kind and generous, to rest a day or
so.
Near this delightful station we bivouacked many days, and feasted on nice apples, potatoes, and
green maize.
But in the mild September near Winchester we met, the largest Yankee army seen in the Valley yet.
Though here they us outnumbered, at least four Yanks to one, we made the boasting bluecoats in sad
confusion run.
While we the Yanks were chasing, they fell upon our flanks; and with their mighty numbers did
quickly break our ranks.
Here in this mighty struggle, while friends were falling fast, our General Rodes was wounded and
Thus being overpowered, we slowly did retire, exposed to grape and shrapnel, and to a galling fire.
Here I was badly wounded and left the battlefield, on which we were outnumbered and therefore forced
to yield.
Then I was sent to Lynchburg for treatment and for ease; here friends made every effort my
sufferings to appease.
Soon I obtained a furlough and soon did haste away, to friends, to home and parents awhile with them
to stay.
For many weeks I suffered, at length my wounds were healed, and then again I hastened back to the
“tented field. “

An inspiring poem, thanks for posting.

“While I am able for service I intend to stand by the cause while a banner floats to tell where freedom’s sons still supports her cause.”

Major Walter Clark of the North Carolina Junior Reserve Brigade in a letter to his mother.

An inspiring poem, thanks for posting.

“While I am able for service I intend to stand by the cause while a banner floats to tell where freedom’s sons still supports her cause.”

Major Walter Clark of the North Carolina Junior Reserve Brigade in a letter to his mother.
Thank-you ! Been trying to post this for some time. Just now able to get it done line by line.

Judge D. F. Pugh: “Great American Soldiers on Poor Rations”

“That the Confederate soldiers were gallant, that they were hard fighters, can be proved by every Union soldier who struggled against them in the fiery front of battle.
After the battle of Missionary Ridge I was attracted by the extreme youthful appearance of a dead Tennessee Confederate soldier who belonged to a regiment of Cheatham’s Division, against which we had fought the day before. He was not over fifteen years of age and very slender. He was clothed in a cotton suit and was barefooted – barefooted! -- on that cold and wet 24th day of November, 1863.
I examined his haversack. For a day’s rations there were a handful of black beans, a few slices of sorghum, and a half dozen roasted acorns. That was an infinitely poor outfit for marching and fighting, but that Tennessee soldier had made it answer his purpose. The Confederates who, half fed, looked bravely into our faces for many long, agonizing weeks over the ramparts of Vicksburg; the remnants of Lee’s magnificent army, which, fed on raw corn and persimmons, fluttered their heroic rags and interposed their bodies for a year between Grant’s army and Richmond, only a few miles away – all these men were great soldiers. I pity the American who cannot be proud of their valor and endurance.
We can never challenge the fame of those men whose skill and valor made them the idols of the Confederate army. The fame of Lee, Jackson, the Johnston’s, Gordon, Longstreet, the Hills, Hood and Stuart, and many thousands of noncommissioned and private soldiers of the Confederate armies, whose names are not mentioned on historic pages, can never be tarnished by the carping criticisms of the narrow and shallow-minded.”
Judge D. F. Pugh’s Address July, 1902)

charms.
liberty.
liberty.
gun-boats retreat.
arms to leave.
“tented field.”
no go.
succeed.
again to see.
nephew dear.
grave.
many heroes fell.
will forget.
had before.
so well.
boast,
Rebel foe.
a chase.
cease to roar.
we made.
them forget.
be.
drew.
rest.
And go to Maryland.
southern country true.
banks.
he run.
boy.
Snicker’s Gap.
victory.
spent.
Kernstown.
Rebel boys.
their wagon-train.
Maryland.
so.
green maize.
confusion run.
quickly break our ranks.
to yield.
sufferings to appease.
to stay.
“tented field. “

Written by Thomas Charles Land of Wilkes County, NC. Thomas began the war a private in Co.B 1st NC. Infantry. He was seriously wounded at Malvern Hill July 1,1862. While furloughed home he was commissioned 3rd Lieut Co.K 53rd NC Infantry. The " dear nephew " he mentions being killed at Gettysburg was his Captain, William J. Miller. He was promoted to 2nd Lieut following Gettysburg and seriously wounded again at 3rd Winchester. He resigned his commission on April 1,1865. A prolific writer for most of his life, he is credited by some to being the author of the words to " The Ballad of Tom Dooley " made famous by the Kingston Trio.
Thanks for posting this, ETR. You certainly have an impressive line-up of those who served in the Civil War.

Back