Civil War Pistol for Display

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. I am putting together a small civil war display for my office. Where is the best place to shop for a confederate replica pistol? It can be non-firing as it will never be used for reenactment. If I am asking in the wrong place please direct me to the location.

Reproduction pistols and revolvers aren't all that expensive if you want a real nice display and you never know you may decide to fire it sometime. Check out Dixie Gun Works or any of the big sutlers. You could probably find a nice used one if you search around a bit. I don't recall seeing any in the classified section here lately.

Reproduction pistols and revolvers aren't all that expensive if you want a real nice display and you never know you may decide to fire it sometime. Check out Dixie Gun Works or any of the big sutlers. You could probably find a nice used one if you search around a bit. I don't recall seeing any in the classified section here lately.
Thanks I will check out Dixie Gun Works

If you're looking for a Confederate pistol, you might want to consider one with a "brass frame". It was common for the south to manufacture their revolver frames out of brass given the scarcity of steel during the war. Brass is certainly more decorative for display. I think an 1851 Reb Navy Colt in with an octagonal barrel would look great. Cabela's has the Italian Piettas for sale both on-line or over the counter. Although not historically accurate as they are .44 caliber instead of .36, only a knowledgeable historian or re-enactor would notice the difference. They usually run around $200 if you catch them on sale. If you do decide to shoot it however, keep the powder charges down around 20-25 grains of FFFG black powder. Brass is a soft material and the guns won't hold up to "hot loads" without some deformation occurring. If you decide to box frame it on felt cloth material.... use green felt and not red. Red looks too much like something you might find in a New Orleans house of ill repute. Good luck!

Cabelas has a .44 Navy brass frame Sherrif model. It is a clone of the guns made by the Confederacy, and is quite inexpensive but quality is superb.

If you're looking for a Confederate pistol, you might want to consider one with a "brass frame". It was common for the south to manufacture their revolver frames out of brass given the scarcity of steel during the war. Brass is certainly more decorative for display. I think an 1851 Reb Navy Colt in with an octagonal barrel would look great. Cabela's has the Italian Piettas for sale both on-line or over the counter. Although not historically accurate as they are .44 caliber instead of .36, only a knowledgeable historian or re-enactor would notice the difference. They usually run around $200 if you catch them on sale. If you do decide to shoot it however, keep the powder charges down around 20-25 grains of FFFG black powder. Brass is a soft material and the guns won't hold up to "hot loads" without some deformation occurring. If you decide to box frame it on felt cloth material.... use green felt and not red. Red looks too much like something you might find in a New Orleans house of ill repute. Good luck!
Brass frame sounds great. It would look better also. Thank you.

Cabelas has a .44 Navy brass frame Sherrif model. It is a clone of the guns made by the Confederacy, and is quite inexpensive but quality is superb.

Just my $.02 worth, but the Confederate 1851 Navy brass framed copies were all in .36 caliber, and were made by Griswold & Gunnison (3600+ pistols) and Schneider & Glassick (3 pistols extant). The G&G had a half octagon/half round barrel 7.5" and the S & G had a full octagonal barrel 7.5". No brass framed pistols were made in .44 caliber, and none were made with a 5" "Sheriff" barrel.

So, the .44 Sheriff gun is no where near a clone.

I don't know how historical you wish to present your display. The pistols that I am referring to are made by Pietta (Italy) and therefore have the Pietta "billboards" on the right side of the barrel, "Black Powder Only" on the left side of the barrel, a date stamp and Italian proof marks on the right side of the frame, proof marks on the right side of the barrel, and proof marks on the cylinder.

This is an example of a Pietta S&G, .36 brasser with octagonal barrel. The picture shows a .44 caliber version with a rebated cylinder and cut water table, so check with them to insure it is a .36 before you possibly order.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1851-Hartford-Navy-Brass-36-7-1-2-110p1164.htm

My Pietta S & G:

Pietta-Schneider-Glassick.jpg

My Pietta G & G:

Pietta-Griswold-Gunnison.jpg

Both the S & G and the G & G require a smooth, non-engraved cylinder.

Good luck on your office display!

Regards,

Jim

Just my $.02 worth, but the Confederate 1851 Navy brass framed copies were all in .36 caliber, and were made by Griswold & Gunnison (3600+ pistols) and Schneider & Glassick (3 pistols extant). The G&G had a half octagon/half round barrel 7.5" and the S & G had a full octagonal barrel 7.5". No brass framed pistols were made in .44 caliber, and none were made with a 5" "Sheriff" barrel.

So, the .44 Sheriff gun is no where near a clone.

I don't know how historical you wish to present your display. The pistols that I am referring to are made by Pietta (Italy) and therefore have the Pietta "billboards" on the right side of the barrel, "Black Powder Only" on the left side of the barrel, a date stamp and Italian proof marks on the right side of the frame, proof marks on the right side of the barrel, and proof marks on the cylinder.

This is an example of a Pietta S&G, .36 brasser with octagonal barrel. The picture shows a .44 caliber version with a rebated cylinder and cut water table, so check with them to insure it is a .36 before you possibly order.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1851-Hartford-Navy-Brass-36-7-1-2-110p1164.htm

My Pietta S & G:

View attachment 252854

My Pietta G & G:

View attachment 252856

Both the S & G and the G & G require a smooth, non-engraved cylinder.

Good luck on your office display!

Regards,

Jim
Very nice. I will keep that in mind. Where did you purchase yours?

Not sure how much you want to spend, and how accurate the pistol needs to be.
You may want to go on Amazon and search for "Denix" pistols. This company makes a line of metal, non-firing historical arms. I have no idea about their quality, but my guess that if they are on display, most people would think they are real. I see thier Colt pistol goes for $55.00.

They also make a copy of Mr. Browning's 50 Cal, "Ma Duce." Now, you put that bad boy on your desk and your making a statement!

Last edited:
Not sure how much you want to spend, and how accurate the pistol needs to be.
You may want to go on Amazon and search for "Denix" pistols. This company makes a line of metal, non-firing historical arms. I have no idea about their quality, but my guess that if they are on display, most people would think they are real. I see thier Colt pistol goes for $55.00.

They also make a copy of Mr. Browning's 50 Cal, "Ma Duce." Now, you put that bad boy on your desk and your making a statement!
It doesn't need to fire as it would just for display.. I will also purchase a black powder one when I reach that stage in reenactment.

Thumbs upI I wish you well on your project. Enjoy it because you will probably catch some flack for displaying such an "offensive weapon", but you did say YOUR office , right? Just remind the offended folks that you have Freedom of Speech too. I love displaying my things on the wall too but its in my home. I have no need of an office since I'm retired. But I would if I could.

It doesn't need to fire as it would just for display.. I will also purchase a black powder one when I reach that stage in reenactment.

Just a footnote - removing all six nipples would render a modern reproduction weapon inoperable. However, as you've surmised a non-weapon replica is the safest to display when there are no other security arrangements.

Maybe I could carry it instead of my duty weapon . LOL
LOL This is for home. I work as armed security, and my company would not allow that either.

With this information, I'd recommend a brass frame replica for display and a steel frame reproduction to shoot.

Good deals can be had on shooters ($150 - $200 used, depending upon the maker and condition) if you're patient, so check here https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/forum/14-sass-wire-classifieds/ and here https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/forum...Sale-Items?s=bbc0fd08418228f01511a8e3309dfa29

Given your location, you might want to scoot up to Winchester (have a like-minded friend ride shotgun) when they have one of their shoots at 'the Fort' and contemplate the temptation of taking up that sport.

Last edited:
Thumbs upI I wish you well on your project. Enjoy it because you will probably catch some flack for displaying such an "offensive weapon", but you did say YOUR office , right? Just remind the offended folks that you have Freedom of Speech too. I love displaying my things on the wall too but its in my home. I have no need of an office since I'm retired. But I would if I could.
LOL my office is also at home. The only weapon I can have at work is my duty sidearm.

Back