1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Civil War Pistol Bullet?

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by pringmaster, Nov 14, 2017.

1. pringmaster

pringmaster Cadet

There is three bullets I know two of them are. But the smallest one I am sure it is but I need to know if it is for sure. 20171112_180615.jpg

mofederal and tbuckley like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

Hi and welcome. I'm not sure exactly what you've got there, but the middle and lower bullets look to me like they have been set in metallic cartridges, or at least molded to fit into metallic cartridges. I don't see any rifling or deformation, so they all look unfired to me. Have you measured their caliber yet?

4. tbuckley

tbuckley Private

The bottom bullet looks like a .22 and probably post-war.

mofederal and Patrick H like this.
  5. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

I thought so, too--so much so that I just compared it to some unjacketed .22 long rifle rounds that I have. I didn't pull a bullet from a cartridge, and of course my newer lead hasn't turned white, but they look pretty similar otherwise.

6. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

The top one is a Colt the second one is CW but don't have my books here in the office. The bottom one is post war 22 as @tbuckley has stated.

Patrick H likes this.
  7. pringmaster

pringmaster Cadet

I have measured it and it is .30

Patrick H likes this.
  8. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant Member of the Month

I would say it is modern, given it's size. I have seen a lot of .30 caliber civilian and military bullets. it has been in the ground awhile. It definitely appears to have had a cartridge case at one time. Still not a bad thing to find. I would say it is post Civil War.

Patrick H likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)