Civil War Photograph?

I've come across an old family album with pictures I believe could go back as far as the Civil War era. The photos come from the correct family line that my g-g-g-grandfather, Leander Edwin Davis, came from. He was a Union soldier from Medina, NY and died in 1865 off illness at the end of the War. Anyway, I noticed a pin with the initial "LD" on the picture. I'm not quite sure what the man is wearing to begin with... Any information would be apprectiated. Thanks.
IMG_9060.jpg

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JRJ

First Sergeant
Retired Moderator
Hi and welcome to the board!
Now what little I can offer haha.
LD could be his initials. Or it could be a member of some secret organization: The Liberty Defectors!... Sorry, got creative there.

Anyway, this is a very good picture and if anyone is able to seriously help you, they will try. Also, now this is my guess the picture looks a bit newer than the civil war era, I am thinking...Maybe 1890..ish? 1900 possibly. I seem to be thinking of like Wild Bill Hitchcock, and other western types in a picture like this. I may be wrong of course, as I have been before!

So, in conclusion: Wait on someone else :tongue: and also welcome to the forums! Look forward to hearing from you on some of our discussions, don't ever be afraid to post! (Lovely username by the way.)

Robtweb1

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Never seen that, but I agree it appears to be from some fraternal order

Welcome from Louisiana

Dave Wilma

2nd Lieutenant
Looks like a fraternal collar to me? Maybe Odd Fellows or Freemasons. Google Fraternal Collars and then click Images at the top.
I agree. "Secret societies" or fraternal organizations were very popular post war. Some were huge like the Elks and the Eagles and others were small and short lived. A big attraction to these groups was the availability of life and burial insurance. If you know where he lived at that age (30s?) see if there is a city directory. These often list organizations. The LD is probably Leander Davis rather than the group.

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Hello and welcome! Don't know much about fraternal or secret organizations but that collar kind of put me in mind of one I'd seen a while back from the Templars. I believe they were into temperance.

frontrank2

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Welcome from NJ. I can't offer anything on the photo. But I looked up his name and found a Leander E. Davis with the 1st NY Light Artillery. Could that be him?

Welcome from NJ. I can't offer anything on the photo. But I looked up his name and found a Leander E. Davis with the 1st NY Light Artillery. Could that be him?
Yep, that would be him! In our family's oral history, we knew of a collection of letters written to his wife. And by chance, I googled him a couple weeks back and found a recent article that spoke of some of the 71 letters that he wrote:

http://thedailynewsonline.com/lifestyles/article_120378f6-debc-5081-92e4-86b352eb284f.html

Interesting stuff.

And thanks for the rest of the info. It does look similar to the mentioned fraternal collars. I really wish people were more willing to label photos back then- at least with names! Haha.

It appears to match a collar worn by my g grandfather in an image of his Odd Fellows garb. He was also very active in the GAR. I do not know if there was a connection between the organizations. I do not have access to the photo, but will check on the letters, I don't recall them in his picture.

I think I may have found him! There is a photo of his widowed wife at a younger age (that I found on Ancestry.com) and I have just found an older picture from my family of a married couple (Civil War time?). Her face looks very similar. If this is his wife, this has to be him, in my opinion. I wish older pictures were labeled! What do you think? DSCN4949[1].JPG DSCN4951[1].JPG 7dced019-1922-4ae8-b0e5-c20667b4ed64.jpg

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!