Civil War Period Sponge Bucket Real or Fake

Sullnok

Cadet
Hello all, I am new to the site and I have a dilemma. Parts of this sponge bucket look real. Top looks real, side seam, measurements (9 x just shy of 8 inches), side pieces, handle. Then some things look bad, two links on top look newer as these, I think, should have been pounded and closed by a blacksmith rather than having a weld mark over the link gap, rather than flat rivets it has hex head screws into the metal.) If I were to guess, I would say that it is original and it was missing the two links and so someone put the new links in. I have seen museum buckets with hex heads. So that is my guess. I would greatly appreciate some help on this. Because if fake, I need to return to seller. Thanks for the help.

20210315_174503_Burst01.jpg

20210315_174554.jpg

20210315_174603.jpg

20210315_174627.jpg

20210315_174646.jpg

20210315_174656.jpg

20210315_174711.jpg

20210315_174732.jpg

Is @ucvrelics on this board. i am new here so don't know how to contact him. Help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for both of your replies.
BB

Is @ucvrelics on this board. i am new here so don't know how to contact him. Help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for both of your replies.
BB
Yes - he's a member. He'll get a notice that he's been mentioned in this thread and, I predict, will respond before too long. You can also send him a PM (message) using the letter symbol in the upper right of your screen. You'll need his log-in name (i.e. with the @ sign as in blue in the above posts).

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Based off the photos its a repop. Back in the early 2003 a boat load of these were imported and sold as CW buckets. The weld on the chain is suspect as well is the wooden top. You can also get these from the Regimental Quartermaster. I'm going to do a little more digging and in the mean time lets get a second opinion. paging @redbob

Hello all, I am new to the site and I have a dilemma. Parts of this sponge bucket look real. Top looks real, side seam, measurements (9 x just shy of 8 inches), side pieces, handle. Then some things look bad, two links on top look newer as these, I think, should have been pounded and closed by a blacksmith rather than having a weld mark over the link gap, rather than flat rivets it has hex head screws into the metal.) If I were to guess, I would say that it is original and it was missing the two links and so someone put the new links in. I have seen museum buckets with hex heads. So that is my guess. I would greatly appreciate some help on this. Because if fake, I need to return to seller. Thanks for the help.

View attachment 394403

View attachment 394404

View attachment 394405

View attachment 394406

View attachment 394407

View attachment 394408

View attachment 394409

View attachment 394410
Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Based off the photos its a repop. Back in the early 2003 a boat load of these were imported and sold as CW buckets. The weld on the chain is suspect as well is the wooden top. You can also get these from the Regimental Quartermaster. I'm going to do a little more digging and in the mean time lets get a second opinion. paging @redbob
I thought the 2003 ton had a flat lip around the bottom. I have seen pics of those and have been careful not to buy anything with a lower lip. If it is a repo then I am very glad I got a return authorization when I bought it. Thanks again.

The lid is shown upside down but I also wondered about it as it is slightly smaller and there is a small gap at one side. Thanks for your help. Any other comments will be welcomed.
Blake
If it looks wrong it probably is-go with your gut, it won't let you down.

Back