Civil War One-Liners

"I am prepared to give my life for the purpose of crushing this damned rebellion and to support the best government on God's footstool."

Union soldier William H. Wykoff in a letter to Richard Parry, May 27, 1863, killed at Gettysburg.

Unionblue

"Until all the People are willing to refer all questions even of greatest magnitude to our Courts, instead of to mere Party Cabals, or the dread chances of war there can be no real Peace."

General Sherman to John M. Schofield, May 28, 1865.

Unionblue

"People of this Country are subject to the Constitution, and Even they Cannot disregard it without Revolution, the very thing we have been fighting against."

General Sherman to John M. Schofield, May 28, 1865.

Unionblue

Here is another Zeb Vance One Liner

While on a visit to Massachusetts, realizing that Vance was a great admirer of Robert E. Lee, his Yankee hosts hung Lee’s portrait over the bathroom privy. When Vance finally felt the call of nature, the Yankees waited for his reaction. “Well Senator, what do you think of us hanging General Lee’s picture in a privy?” one of them asked. “I think it’s a mighty fittin’ place for the General’s picture,” Vance said, “because if there was ever a man who could scare the **** out of the Yankees, that man was Robert E. Lee.”

Before I die let me implore that in some way it may be stated that General Pope has been outwitted, and that [Irvin] McDowell is a traitor. - Col Thornton F. Brodhead, 1st Michigan Cavalry

Thea,

From what I gather there is no proof he actually said it. Yet I could be easily mistaken. All the quotes I found online contained not only the quote but the exact phrasing describing the quote though. Maybe it is a myth like the one concerning soiled doves and them being called Hookers because they followed his army etc.

This is the Hooker Source page

http://www.aotc.net/Hooker_home.htm

I will keep looking though.....

YMOS
tommy

February 17, 1861.

William T. Sherman finally booked passage up the river for February 25. His friend and fellow academician, Boyd, witnessed his farewell to the cadets at the Louisiana State Seminary of Learning and Military Academy. The cadets wept, Sherman wept. Sherman finally said he could not make the speech he had intended and, placing his hand over his heart, said,

"You are all here."

Unionblue

Back