ENDED Civil War officers field desk

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpipes

Private
I am looking to purchase a Civil War officers field desk. Repo is clearly fine, I can't imagine many people will have an original or that it would be under 4 figures (or that I'd want to use it if it was). Either way if you have a Civil War officers field desk you want to sell please let me know.

This would be the type officers and staff would use in camp and field, typically with fold down front and storage areas, many with folding legs too, but I'm open to a number of designs. Pre-used from reenactors is fine of course.

Thanks for reading!

Majority of these originally were private acquisition from a local maker. Frequently found in a wide array of sizes, styles, drawers, and number and size of covey holes. Much of it also reflected the intended use and by whom. A quartermaster... a surgeon... regimental adjutant or clerk.... Have seen some rather large unwieldy ones... of a division adjutant... to small simple styles that a company adjutant would use....

Typically you don't find many used repro's of these hitting the market for sale very often.... since most tend to belong to the respective reenactment group itself rather that the individual officer.... so get passed on to the next respective elected officer over and over...

If you have a style and size in mind.... and/or details on an original to copy... You might wish to seek a local woodworker in your area that hopefully will be well versed in assembling historical type of goods.... or a local cabinet maker that has knowledge of restoring old vintage ones... they tend to have more knowledge and details of how they were made than the average garage woodworking project bird house maker.... Many of these originals have paneled fronts on the drop front cover that are cut much differently than the typical modern template shape and style... Need to find someone that knows the difference and how too....

Ive replicated a few in the past... they are indeed very time consuming to make correctly... hand cut dove tails... drawers and locking panels... locating correct vintage hinges to use frequently is a problem to find...

Ive also made a few out of other salvaged vintage materials... I had come across a confederate officers letter home and in it he discussed desire to obtain a field desk from a local maker back home... he also drew out the basic design that he wanted to have made.... A short time later I came across a discarded small period secretary desk that was severely damaged with many missing parts... but it nearly identically matched the one this officer detailed.... I did a cut down alteration, and reconfigured, and squared up the front to match up his drawing... used other period scraps of wood to replace the missing parts... Another time I needed something smaller more mobile... made one out of a repurposed ammunition box... replicating an original one that I had examined that had been used to store company papers in.... It drew a lot of interest from others... especially since it wasn't the massive cookie-cutter sutler row modern construction type that many other reenactors use..... Sitting on a small table that I had constructed utilizing a salvaged cabinet door that had been discarded during remodeling of a 1770 era house.... the table legs were made of salvaged side rails of 1700's era house shutters..... again replicating ones found in period camp photographs... choosing not to use the same-ole sutler row boy scout wood project design folding table that nearly all others use....

I was in Gettysburg a month ago and one of the reenactor shops had two officer desks for sale. I liked one and almost bought it but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

I understand they aren't common but there are plenty of people getting out of the hobby or who may have seen one for sale like I did at a local shop. I'm also not interested in having someone build one for me as I would much rather buy a used example. I don't expect to find one this afternoon but in time with some luck someone will contact me with one for sale.

The slots typically are made with dado joints and glued/tacked into the frame and normally not intended to be removable. They were generally configured for the intended purpose. To store papers.... papers and company books, etc... We find existing originals with missing parts, not uncommon as they may have been used for other purposes since the war. They also generally folded documents differently than we commonly do today... so our modern common sized papers folded as we habitually would... frequently found not to fit as comfortable in the slots as many would expect.... Most times the exteriors were painted, some plain. Normally don't find originals with wood stain or high gloss clear polyurethane finishes ....
P1040144a.jpg

P1040146a.jpg

P1030297b.jpg

stivers_desk.jpeg

e30241b.jpg

316503-2.jpg

72NY-DrCharlesIrwin2.jpg

The first example photo in your post shows a desk with removable shelves. I don't need removable shelves per say, I just need to be able to store notebooks/journals upright, something the desk in the example I showed above didn't allow. Every example you posted allowed for that. Since the shelves were not removable in the one I found I couldn't do so without hacking it up. It also had a slight gloss to it which I didn't like and the depth wasn't really that great. The back was simply some thin crate slates and would have provided no protections whatsoever. It was a good price ($150) but just didn't fit my needs.

The last pic you posted is very much what I am looking for.

I am looking to purchase a Civil War officers field desk. Repo is clearly fine, I can't imagine many people will have an original or that it would be under 4 figures (or that I'd want to use it if it was). Either way if you have a Civil War officers field desk you want to sell please let me know.

This would be the type officers and staff would use in camp and field, typically with fold down front and storage areas, many with folding legs too, but I'm open to a number of designs. Pre-used from reenactors is fine of course.

Thanks for reading!
I planned on building a few of these andi just finished the prototype out of pine. it isn't perfect but if you are interested I would be happy to let it go cheap. I could send pics if you are interested

Thanks for reading!

I have a walnut field desk 36"x24"x15". Two locks w/key. A model is pictured in the book
Memorabilia of the Civi War by William C. Davis, page 50 lower left hand corner. There are
two desk pictured mine is the one on the right. The interior is new but exterior original finish.
There is a name written on the bottom, H.S. Babbit. Ddsykes@verizon, if interest can send pic.

I have a walnut field desk 36"x24"x15". Two locks w/key. A model is pictured in the book
Memorabilia of the Civi War by William C. Davis, page 50 lower left hand corner. There are
two desk pictured mine is the one on the right. The interior is new but exterior original finish.
There is a name written on the bottom, H.S. Babbit. Ddsykes@verizon, if interest can send pic.

Do you have pics of the item that can be posted here ?

Thanks for reading!

Mr Pipes,

I have an authentic civil war field desk that has been in my family for 3 generations. My mother had it re-stained back in 1970's when my father died, & they removed the damaged black leather writing pad cover from the inner lid. The lock is damaged/removed and there is no key, but otherwise it is in good condition. It has an antique table it sat on when my grandfather used it in his store for his business/stock journals. I also have a civil war badge that was commissioned by a Mississippi officer who returned from the civil war, that is practically a non-existent item. My father-n-law was a huge civil war collector, and he told me he had never seen one like it, ever, but that it was definitely authentic. Would you be interested in either? (Recent financial difficulties are making it necessary to consider selling.)

I am currently in the market for a field desk to be used in reenacting. Are any of the above still for sale? I am looking for a reproduction, however open to original if the price is reasonable. Willing to provide contact info to anyone looking to sell. Thank you for your consideration.

I am currently in the market for a field desk to be used in reenacting. Are any of the above still for sale? I am looking for a reproduction, however open to original if the price is reasonable. Willing to provide contact info to anyone looking to sell. Thank you for your consideration.
Buy the book Civil War WoodWorking Vol. 1. They are not difficult to make and you can buy the book for $15 or so. The wood will cost about $50. You'll be way ahead and have your own work to be proud of. Good luck. PS- I built mine and I'm no finish carpenter. I'd be happy to help you through building it.

Mr Pipes,

I have an authentic civil war field desk that has been in my family for 3 generations. My mother had it re-stained back in 1970's when my father died, & they removed the damaged black leather writing pad cover from the inner lid. The lock is damaged/removed and there is no key, but otherwise it is in good condition. It has an antique table it sat on when my grandfather used it in his store for his business/stock journals. I also have a civil war badge that was commissioned by a Mississippi officer who returned from the civil war, that is practically a non-existent item. My father-n-law was a huge civil war collector, and he told me he had never seen one like it, ever, but that it was definitely authentic. Would you be interested in either? (Recent financial difficulties are making it necessary to consider selling.)
Hello, ,
I just stumbled on this sight and became a member. I am also looking for a civil war officers desk or lap desk. If you still have the desk I may be interested in it.
Thank you , Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back