Civil War Nurses (and other medical personnel)

blue_zouave

Sergeant
Inspired by Ole's post, I'm starting a thread on Civil War nurses. Contrary to popular depictions, the greatest number were convalescent soldiers, or soldiers selected from the ranks.

Other medical personnel included medical cadets, hospital stewards, and ambulance crew. Not to mention surgeons, including contract surgeons!

I'm reading a collection of letters and diary entries from a hospital steward for a New York regiment right now. Great stuff for my novel, and for reenacting persona building!

Zou

blue_zouave said:
Other medical personnel included medical cadets, hospital stewards, and ambulance crew. Not to mention surgeons, including contract surgeons!
Zou:
Was there anything like a body of professionals? I.e., serving more than temporarily?
Ole

Zouave, have you discovered much information on Confederate units? As per my earlier post, Grandson's ancestor was pulled from the ranks while convalescing from an injury at battle of Raymond, Mississippi early in the war. He was with the 41st TN CSA who became part of the AOT later in the war. I've seen no previous discussion of medical capability with the AOT under Hood, so I'm very curious.

Back