"Civil War News"...

Interesting . . . . sensationalized “headlines” reinforces the media thought “if it bleeds, it leads” and then they call it “News” . . . . “Pulled to Safety”, “Exploding Furry”, “Destructive Blow”, “Death At Sea”, and “Bloody Combat” among others.

As the resident Balloon Guy #20’s headline caught my attention: “Death Fall” The story opens “A daring balloonist was struck by a cannon-shell and plunged to his death in flames, over the battlefield today.” and continues with other “Fake News”

0ced5e0f-e157-4dec-839f-c86ab5e4ec61-jpeg.jpg

4e446c7a-c69a-4292-aabc-7c26be6e67c5-jpeg.jpg

For hysterical accuracy it is important to note NO Balloon used by the Union or Confederates was ever shot down by the other side, nor were any balloonists or observer, military or civilian, were ever shot or injured during balloon operations.

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

Last edited:
I can only try to imagine elevating different ACW artillery pieces to fire on a rising balloon. Perhaps mortars would be more effective loaded for a higher elevation. Just the same "never happened" kinda sez it all huh?<g>

I can only try to imagine elevating different ACW artillery pieces to fire on a rising balloon. Perhaps mortars would be more effective loaded for a higher elevation. Just the same "never happened" kinda sez it all huh?<g>

Both Artillery and Mortars were elevated to account for altitude and distance and were frequently fired at the balloons without success. Keep in mind, even with multiple tethers to create a 'stable' platform, the balloon swayed with the wind - it was still a moving target. Also, balloon operations occurred in the 'rear' near the Commander's headquarters and supply lines thus adding distance from the front lines . . . There is record of several cannons breaching because the elevation or the charge was too high.

Fascinating Fact: The FIRST use of "Anti-Aircraft" guns occurred during the Civil War

Antiaircraft.jpg

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

Oh well neither side hit any balloons but they tried. Still trying to imagine leading a tethered balloon being propelled by gusting winds with an artillery piece. Ever uncover records of canister or grapeshot being used? Shotguns used to work great on a covey rise back in the day when we actually had wild quail.

As promised, here are the events for May, 1863. As you can see, the copy writers had a bit of a problem sorting out dates; the Vicksburg Campaign gave them particular trouble, even more evident than this in its later phases. I suppose their confusion over Chancellorsville was because of the date of Jackson's actual death. Considering the apparant Southern bias shown in the second one, it would be interesting to know more about the creation of this set - and where the heck is Westford, Va.? As before, there's no point in criticising historical errors in any of these, pictures or text - just enjoy!

View attachment 14212 View attachment 14213

View attachment 14214 View attachment 14215

View attachment 14216 View attachment 14217

View attachment 14218 View attachment 14219

View attachment 14220 View attachment 14221
" Bullets of Death"

:rofl:

Once again, James N. thank you for bringing back memories.
I don't think these cards could published during 2021.

:bounce:

Last edited:
... Once again, James N. thank you for bringing back memories.
I don't think these cards could published during 2021.

Interestingly enough and reflective of the time, the only representation or depiction of African-Americans I recall in the entire series is in the very first one where it appears that John Brown is protecting Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben!

1624032273096.png

Last edited:
Interesting . . . . sensationalized “headlines” reinforces the media thought “if it bleeds, it leads” and then they call it “News” . . . . “Pulled to Safety”, “Exploding Furry”, “Destructive Blow”, “Death At Sea”, and “Bloody Combat” among others.

As the resident Balloon Guy #20’s headline caught my attention: “Death Fall” The story opens “A daring balloonist was struck by a cannon-shell and plunged to his death in flames, over the battlefield today.” and continues with other “Fake News”

View attachment 299421

View attachment 299422

For hysterical accuracy it is important to note NO Balloon used by the Union or Confederates was ever shot down by the other side, nor were any balloonists or observer, military or civilian, were ever shot or injured during balloon operations.

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut
Well, I always question the accuracy of post-war "first hand accounts" so take it for what it is worth, but this one comes from "Simple Story of a Soldier," by Sam Hankins, 2nd Mississippi Infantry. It discusses an incident following the battle of Gaines Mill...

"In a few minutes a balloon ascended containing a man whom they had sent to make
observations. The balloon was attached to a long rope; and as soon as it had ascended as
far as the rope would admit, it seemed to come to a perfect standstill. Just then Captain
Riley, commanding our brigade battery at the time, had his guns in position and ordered a
shot at the balloon. Hundreds of us witnessed it, and I venture to say that no better
artillery shot was made during the war. The shell exploded just between the car and
basket containing the man and the balloon, and out tumbled the poor fellow.

Not longer than three years ago I was passing along the street in front of a hotel in
Columbus, Miss., where some gentlemen were sitting out in front talking. As I came near
I heard an old gray-haired gentleman remark that one of his men was shot out of a balloon
during the war. This caused me to halt. I said to him: "My friend, did not that happen at
Gaines's Farm, Va., during the Seven Days' Battle? .... It did," said he. "Well," I replied,
"would you believe it when I tell you that I was within fifty feet of the cannon that made
the shot? Was the man killed? .... He was," he replied, "and was a member of my
company." Then we had a long and very pleasant conversation."

Well, I always question the accuracy of post-war "first hand accounts" so take it for what it is worth, but this one comes from "Simple Story of a Soldier," by Sam Hankins, 2nd Mississippi Infantry. It discusses an incident following the battle of Gaines Mill...
Creative memories at best! Thank you for sharing.

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

After July's momentous events, Civil War News lapses into something of a torpor during the Dog Days of August, much as the war itself did; this dubious incident is the only subject. Once again I can only wonder if this is entirely invented or based on any actual incident - any ideas? Next month, Chickamauga!

View attachment 17768View attachment 17769
Well, I’ll just confirm, having grandparents who lived along Simstown Road in KY, that there is an area still called Simstown although the little community is long gone. A Union supply depot in nearby Lebanon was known to send out patrols that tussled, shall we say, with pro-Confederate groups. Both sides practiced a hit and run kind of fighting by most accounts. It would be nice to think this story was true, but I have never heard it before. Wonder who the editor/artist was who came up with this creation?

View attachment 23008 View attachment 23010

After a month's rest, Civil War News returns with the events of November, 1863! As often with them, the very first subject is something of a mystery: what exactly is this Ohio "battle" in which the drummer boy dies? The only Ohio actions I remember were connected with Morgan's Raid, which was back in the summer of 1863. The idea itself was a "popular" and typically Victorian nostalgic and maudlin one; there was a poem of the period that was later set to music, The Drummer Boy of Shiloh - "...who prayed before he died", so there's a precedent for this sort of thing. Does anyone have any idea if there's any actual historical event this is intened to represent or where New Lisbon is?

View attachment 23013 View attachment 23016

The other two are more clear-cut, reasonably representing Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge, the basic facts of which they get straight. The only thing I'd like to point out is that the art in Missionary Ridge bears quite a similarity to contemporary 1960's artist Tom Lovell's Battle of the Crater which appeared in Life magazine around the same time.

View attachment 23017View attachment 23018
I needed the SILENT DRUM to complete my set back in the day. I traded five other cards to get it from Reggie Fulcher in about Grade 5.

Well, I’ll just confirm, having grandparents who lived along Simstown Road in KY, that there is an area still called Simstown although the little community is long gone. A Union supply depot in nearby Lebanon was known to send out patrols that tussled, shall we say, with pro-Confederate groups. Both sides practiced a hit and run kind of fighting by most accounts. It would be nice to think this story was true, but I have never heard it before. Wonder who the editor/artist was who came up with this creation?
That one grabbed my attention too. Took quite a bit of searching to even confirm there once was a “community” there.
Let alone any civil war activity, worthy of a bubble gun card.

And yet, so many larger events went unrecognized ( Perryville. Did I overlook Fredericksburg?).

I too wonder who pulled that one out of his hat?

Back