Civil War Naval Museum: Uncover the American Civil War through naval eyes

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Civil War Naval Museum: Uncover the American Civil War through naval eyes

By Adrienne Anderson / adrienne.anderson@thebayonet.com
Going to the Civil War Naval Museum at Port Columbus means letting go of some things you thought you knew about the American Civil War.
It’s like when you learned that Christopher Columbus didn’t actually discover America. History books can leave out a lot of information needed to tell the entire picture. And whether you are a history buff or not — you’ll walk out of the museum learning something you wouldn’t have learned in grade school.
The history of the Civil War is told from the lesser-known perspective of fleets of ships — the Navy. Learn how dangerous it was to be on the water and discover Fort Benning’s and Columbus’ ties to some well-known ships.

Read more here: http://www.thebayonet.com/2013/07/31/454681/civil-war-naval-museum-uncover.html#storylink=cpy

bdietzler73

First Sergeant
One thing that I really haven't studied about the Civil War is the actions of the Navy during that the war. I really want to find some sources about the naval actions that took place during the War.

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
I haven't been to "Port Columbus" since it's had that name... when I visited, it was the Confederate Naval Museum. It was a good visit then; looks outstanding now... if it only were on my way to something else!

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year

redbob

Captain
While you are in Columbus, the Army's Infantry Museum is worth the stop and one day the Armor Museum will be located there also.

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
History buff can’t stand to see exposed artifacts behind Naval Museum
By Ben Wright
benw@ledger-enquirer.com
September 17, 2018 12:00 AM
Updated 10 hours 32 minutes ago

The National Civil War Naval Museum at Port Columbus preserves artifacts from the American Civil War but there’s a growing concern that more needs to be done at the 1002 Victory Drive facility.

A reader and sometime history buff said he’s shocked to see artifacts exposed in a covered barn behind the museum. Other than the roof, there’s nothing to protect materials from gusting wind and rain in a building with no walls.

Since moving to the $8 million facility in March 2001, the 40,000 square-foot museum has highlighted the warship CSS Jackson and the CSS Chattahoochee, a gunboat . It also features other ships, uniforms, equipment and weapons used by the Union Navy from the North and the Confederate States Navy or the Southern/rebel forces.

Holly Wait, executive director of the museum, is well acquainted with artifacts that she would like to see moved from outside. They include the CSS Virginia, the original fan tail of the CSS Jackson and the engine of the CSS Chattahoochee. Wait also would like to rebuild USS/CSS Water Witch to improve the entrance to the facility but there is no money available.

“We just don’t have any money to do it,” she said. “That is exactly the answer.”

The story behind the Virginia is that it may have been one of the blockade runners . “Nobody knew that for sure,” Wait said. “It was donated here and almost no money given to take care of it. Money they gave would normally pay the utility bill for one month in this building. Yes, it’s a wonderful piece of history and we are very pleased to have it. We have no money to do anything with it. We are not sure what story it really tells.”

Time is not on its side while stored outside the museum. Just to conserve the fan tail on the CSS Jackson and engine of the CSS Chattahoochee would cost about $500,000.

Wait said the museum and other nonprofits face tough times. The facility lost $135,000 in funding from the Consolidated Government more than three years ago. “We are dependent on grants and sponsorships,” she said. “We have no government funding of any type.”

While the struggle continues daily just to keep the doors open, Wait said the facility still serves 20,000 visitors a year, including thousands of school children. “It’s a tough road,” she said. “You’ve got to believe in what you are doing.”

If she could talk to the supporter about the facility, Wait would ask for a donation. That’s possible by calling 706-327-9798, going to www.portcolumbus.org or mailing donations to the National Civil War Naval Museum at Port Columbus, 1002 Victory Drive, Columbus, Ga. , 31901.

Full article with pics can be found here - https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/local/article218473495.html

Unfortunately this is a tale repeated at many museums...

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
A reader and sometime history buff said he’s shocked to see artifacts exposed in a covered barn behind the museum. Other than the roof, there’s nothing to protect materials from gusting wind and rain in a building with no walls.
I saw that "barn" during my visit there in June. It's more like a covered shed. There are no walls. Just a chain link fence around it. I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at. I didn't have time to walk around the entire structure and it was pretty hot outside. Stuck my camera through the chain link fence and snapped a coupla pics. I just now noticed the cannon on the ground in the first picture.

2018-06-21 09.14.33.jpg

2018-06-21 09.14.43.jpg

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
Wait also would like to rebuild USS/CSS Water Witch to improve the entrance to the facility but there is no money available.

“We just don’t have any money to do it,” she said. “That is exactly the answer.”
That exhibit was closed for repairs when I visited in June. Sounds like it might be closed indefinitely.

2018-06-21 10.44.49.jpg

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
I saw that "barn" during my visit there in June. It's more like a covered shed. There are no walls. Just a chain link fence around it. I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at. I didn't have time to walk around the entire structure and it was pretty hot outside. Stuck my camera through the chain link fence and snapped a coupla pics. I just now noticed the cannon on the ground in the first picture.
At the bottom foreground of your pics, it looks like ironclad armor - either real or a replica. Very cool.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA