1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Civil War Naval Genealogy

Discussion in 'Researching Your Civil War Ancestry' started by josh54739, Aug 1, 2018.

1. josh54739

josh54739 Private

Hello, everyone!
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with researching a sailor from the Civil War. According to the “U.S., Naval Enlistment Rendezvous, 1855-1891” an Edward Bixby enlisted on December 30, 1864, in New York. The record says he was a 30-year old broker living in Otsego. He was a Massachusetts native. It also lists him as having enlisted for two years, but there is no further record of his service. I attached the enlistment record (courtesy of FamilySearch) for anyone interested. He is the sixth man listed. In “History of Otsego County, New York” (1878) by Duane Hurd, Edward Bixby is listed as one of the men from the county as having served in the Navy during the war, again with no record of his service given.
    I was wondering where I could look to find further record of his service. I was also wondering if anyone could help verify his identity-as I am guessing the man who enlisted was Edward Everett Bixby, son of Montgomery and Mary Bixby, born 1829 in Massachusetts and died 1873 in New York, but the age difference and the fact that I can not find any records of him having lived in Otsego make it difficult to verify.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Michael O'Neil

Michael O'Neil Private

Hi Josh,

Thought I'd take a look given I've done a bit of Navy research with one of my ancestors. Nothing's popped immediately up on Fold3 yet that exact matches in the Navy specific files. Did he survive the war? Any spouse details in case a pension application was made?

Oddly there is an Edward E Bixby in the 1st NY Volunteers for the Mexican-American War (1846-48) which would have put him at being age 16 if it's him. No other info yet.

Mike.

4. Michael O'Neil

Michael O'Neil Private

Hi Josh,

I took a look at this using Ancestry, Fold3 and Fulton. Nothing concrete to add regarding military although this seemed a possibility but it is pre-Civil War:

NY Rendezvous, Enlisted 10 Oct 1854, then a not very clear reference to Jamestown, 6 Apr 1855. Might be the USS Jamestown or the place itself?

If Edward's parents were Montgomery and Mary and they are the ones at Boston, Ward 10 in the 1850 Census with Edward being listed as a boot manufacturer, then it seems like they were in New York by 1860 at 8th Ward, 2nd ED. No Montgomery but all the rest of the family and Edward is listed as a leather dealer. Nothing after this for Edward however his brother Henry appears in 1870 still in NY at 3rd Ward, 1st ED as a shoe manufacturer. No sisters I'm afraid to try and match him with but they might be married by this stage so you'd need to start finding marriage details to take that approach further. There is a James E. Bixbey (clerk, born Conn.) with Henry so he might be a cousin or something.

I couldn't find anything else for the the 1st NY Volunteers - e.g. enlistment details, nor could I find anything else further to the December 30, 1864 navy rendezvous - i.e where he went to after enlistment.

No obituary at the Fulton site as they sometimes make reference to military service if the family had included it. Mostly though these are usually quick details about death and time of funeral.

Good luck - Mike.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)