Civil War Music forum?

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Unless I missed it, I don't see a forum specifically for Civil War Music. I've seen lots of posts about music spread throughout other forums on CWT, but nowhere to specifically address the topic on its own. Sub-forums could include:
  • Field Music (fife/drum/bugle music played in camp, on campaign, and in battle, which includes Camp Duty, bugle calls in battle, etc.)
  • Regimental Bands (band music played for entertainment or to boost morale).
  • Camp Music (music created by soldiers while off duty in camp, e.g. folk songs and other tunes played on fiddle, minstrel banjo, bones, spoons, etc.)
  • Popular & Patriotic Music (music of the day for the the general public, which often carried over into military camps).
  • Civil War Music in Reenacting (a place to discuss music in reenacting)
  • Instruments (for discussion of period instruments.)
Civil War music is a big topic--would be nice to have a section that focuses on it.

For example, here's a post that would go under Field Music:

According to a display at the National Civil War Museum: "The Reveille, one of the oldest and most famous of all bugle calls, got its name from the French word "réveiller" which means to awaken. In the infantry camp during the Civil War however, it was not the first call to awaken soldiers at sunrise.The Reveille was sounded as soon as companies were assembled for morning roll call, and then it was sounded in concert by all buglers assembled at main Headquarters. When the last note of this signal was finished, the First Sergeant would call the roll."

Unless I missed it, I don't see a forum specifically for Civil War Music. I've seen lots of posts about music spread throughout other forums on CWT, but nowhere to specifically address the topic on its own. Sub-forums could include:
  • Field Music (fife/drum/bugle music played in camp, on campaign, and in battle, which includes Camp Duty, bugle calls in battle, etc.)
  • Regimental Bands (band music played for entertainment or to boost morale).
  • Camp Music (music created by soldiers while off duty in camp, e.g. folk songs and other tunes played on fiddle, minstrel banjo, bones, spoons, etc.)
  • Popular & Patriotic Music (music of the day for the the general public, which often carried over into military camps).
  • Civil War Music in Reenacting (a place to discuss music in reenacting)
  • Instruments (for discussion of period instruments.)
Civil War music is a big topic--would be nice to have a section that focuses on it.

For example, here's a post that would go under Field Music:

According to a display at the National Civil War Museum: "The Reveille, one of the oldest and most famous of all bugle calls, got its name from the French word "réveiller" which means to awaken. In the infantry camp during the Civil War however, it was not the first call to awaken soldiers at sunrise.The Reveille was sounded as soon as companies were assembled for morning roll call, and then it was sounded in concert by all buglers assembled at main Headquarters. When the last note of this signal was finished, the First Sergeant would call the roll."

I like your suggestion very much. Not to hijack your idea, but perhaps we could expand such a forum a bit and call it "Field Music & War Videos"??? I'm only suggesting.... a forum solely dedicated to war music is fine with me.

I've wanted to do that for a long time, I could really use a volunteer to be the host of such a forum, to guide it and keep it active every week.

@Claude Bauer would you be willing to volunteer to host a forum on Civil War Music if I created one?

Sure, Mike--I'm on the forum almost every day anyway--might as well put me to work! :smile:

Back