Civil War Museum in White Settlement, Texas

jerryaustin

Private
Robert E Lee pocket knife.

IMG_4047.jpeg

Is this the same museum that used to be in Richmond, Texas?
No it's not. I am going out on a limb here, but I seem to recall some one telling me a few years ago, some of the items that were at the old Richmond Museum now reside in the museum at Houston Baptist University in SW Houston off I-69.

If you have never been the Texas Civil War Museum is well worth the visit.
2018 Ft Worth CW Museum.JPG

2018 Ft Worth CW Museum.JPG

Last edited:
This thread BADLY needs a new name - before some BLM members see this and go ballistic crying "racist" I'll point out that the Fort Worth suburb of White Settlement was NOT created by nor settled postwar by racists who wanted to live in a "pure" society, but rather is named for a family of early settlers named White. The museum was visited several years ago by a group of Texas members of the CWT forums including myself, @Nathanb1 @AndyHall @Joe Walker @1863surgeon and several others and was reported on here in the forums at the time. It's a wonderful private collection of weapons and memorabilia combined with items from the collection of the Texas Daughters of the Confederacy that used to occupy a floor in the old 1858 Texas Land Office on the grounds of the Capitol Building in Austin, back before they were considered a subversive non-politically-correct organization. Their collection includes wonderful period dresses and gowns and most importantly, all the surviving flags, colors, banners, and guidons of Texas regiments that fought in the war!

I have never heard that the name was based on a family named White, and I have lived near and worked in White Settlement for almost 40 years. The city got its name because it was the lone settlement of White settlers amid several Native American villages in the Fort Worth area in the Texas Republic territory in the 1840s. The area was called "White" because it was a settlement of White homesteaders, as opposed to other settlements in the vicinity that were composed of both White and Native American residents. In a fairly recent city vote, the residents of White Settlement voted by a margin of 8-1 to keep the name. There is no racial strive in the community and everyone gets along.

I have never heard that the name was based on a family named White, and I have lived near and worked in White Settlement for almost 40 years. The city got its name because it was the lone settlement of White settlers amid several Native American villages in the Fort Worth area in the Texas Republic territory in the 1840s. The area was called "White" because it was a settlement of White homesteaders, as opposed to other settlements in the vicinity that were composed of both White and Native American residents. In a fairly recent city vote, the residents of White Settlement voted by a margin of 8-1 to keep the name. There is no racial strive in the community and everyone gets along.
Not according to the folks at the museum.

Have we gotten to the point where one literally cannot state where a Civil War museum is located for fear of offending someone? In large, bold RED print at the top of this page, there is a warning about the mention of politics or the mere suggestion of politics. My posts respected that directive, yet it looks like my post is being made political. Some people can, and do, get offended by almost anything. I can't control that. Can we just get back to comments about the civil war?

I cannot recommend a visit to the museum enough. I have been multiple times and see different things each time. A very interesting place for the Civil War buff for sure.

Robert E Lee pocket knife.

View attachment 408442
A great artifact!

Any museum would love to have that in their collection. !

This thread BADLY needs a new name - before some BLM members see this and go ballistic crying "racist"

Who cares if they "go ballistic".

This is about a simple historic pocket knife for goodness sake. (nothing more/nothing less).

If they are upset about the name of the town where a pocket knife came from ...
that's laughable.

Last edited:
Are there any stories by a witness maybe or some information as to how some of the blades got broken off.
I doubt there are any accounts of General Lee's many pocket knives.

Blades get broken for various reasons.
Usually mundane stuff, like trying to use a pocket knife instead of a screwdiver.

Pocket knives are used more as small tools more than a real knife.
Usually a broken blade is the result of improper use or poor manufacturing.
Every one of us ... (that carry a pocket knife) ... have used said knife for tasks it was not created .

But I doubt Lee would ever buy a cheaply made pocket knife.

:smoke:

Last edited:
Not according to the folks at the museum.
According to the town itself the story of the name is the following:

Many are curious as to the origins of the name of "White Settlement." This was originally bestowed upon the community by several Indian tribes in the area. During the 1800s, a time when much of the territory was unsettled, the local Native Americans became aware of new people moving into the area. As these families established homesteads, the Native Americans began to call the area "White Settlement." Later, many of the roaming Indians settled down in the area and the name continued as the two cultures lived peacefully along the Farmer's Branch Creek.

https://www.wstx.us/293/About-Us

There doesn’t seem to be much interest in changing the name of the town as far as I could find. Apparently it was named such by local Native Americans.

Back