Civil War Movies

traveller

Corporal
Hi Everyone:
I have compiled a list of some of the Civil War Movies in chronological order. I've seen a lot of them, others I've never even heard of. It would be interesting to know if anyone has seen some of the older movies. There were even some silent movies made such from 1913 to 1915. They were Drummer of the Eighth, The Coward, and Grand-Dad. I didn't include any documentaries. Not sure of the dates on a couple.

The General 1927
Gone With the Wind 1939
A Southern Yankee 1948
The Red Badge of Courage 1951
The Great Locomotive Chase 1956
Friendly Persuasion 1956
Raintree County 1957
The Horse Soldiers 1959
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge 1962
Shenandoah 1965
The Blue and the Gray 1982
North and South 1985
Glory 1989
Glory II
Gettysburg 1993
Sommersby 1993
Andersonville 1996
The Hunley 1999
Ride With the Devil 1999
Left for Dead
Gods and Generals 2003

Traveller

Great list. I've only seen eight of them. I may add "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly", by Sergio Leone, 1966.

Nice list,may I add: Shenandoah,Major Dundee,Birth of a Nation,and a few whose names escape me: one with Yvonne DiCarlo{Lily of "Munsters" fame}who is involved with a southern spy who procures rifles in a northern town; another of the St.Albans raid;and one starring James Cann who along with 6 others leave texas to join a Texas regiment in the East and get conscripted along the way into the Pensecola Light Blues.{7 from Texas?}; One called "Bad Company" with Jeff Bridges about young men avoiding conscription.And let's not forget 3 or 4 Twilight Zone Episodes.

Neil

Glory II was the sequil to Glory. I may even be wrong in the title.It was only on video I believe. I have seen it. It is somewhat of a documentary on how the film was made,etc. Interviews and such. I will check to see if it is still at the video store here, and get you some more info.

Traveller

I believe the Glory 2 you are refering to is the second disc in the DVD edition. Includes making of, deleted scenes and actual history of the Regiment narrated by Morgan Freeman.

Rick & Shane, thanks for checking on Glory II for me and you are both right, it is a second tape or disc that talks mainly about the history of the regiment (the 54th MA) and such. I thought that a sequel to the original movie had come out and I had somehow missed it!

Zou, I love the movie, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"! Everytime it comes on late night TV here, I just HAVE to watch it again!

Unionblue

Back