Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Previous Next
592645b104698.image.jpg

Courtesy of Emerson Martin

Memorial Day, 105 years ago
Civil War veterans of the Grand Army of the Republic stand at the Civil War monument in Thompson Street Cemetery, Catskill, on Memorial Day, May 12, 1912.

Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:30am

By Amanda Purcell Columbia-Greene Media

CATSKILL – A 100-year-old dilapidated fountain built in honor of Greene County’s Civil War veterans could undergo much-needed restoration efforts.

The fountain, which is leaning and inoperable, stands next to a statue of a Civil War soldier in the Thompson Street Cemetery, located at the corner of Thompson and Spring streets, in Catskill.

More: http://www.thedailymail.net/news/article_d3c7df6c-40f3-11e7-9408-2f891446bc4e.html

As long as it's historians fixing it. I know how things work in my fair State if Albany is running it, it will take 20 years and 800 million dollars to fix.

Nice to see a story about restoring a monument associated with the Civil War.

Civil War monument in the hands of historians
Memorial Day, 105 years ago
Civil War veterans of the Grand Army of the Republic stand at the Civil War monument in Thompson Street Cemetery, Catskill, on Memorial Day, May 12, 1912.
According to the article, "The veterans were part of a group known as the Grand Army of the Republic, which was later absorbed by the veterans’ organization American Legion."
Is this correct?
My understanding is the GAR was not "absorbed" or merged into any other veterans group or fraternal organization.
They continued to meet until their last Encampment in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1949.
Like the soldiers in MacArthur's famous April 19, 1951 speech to Congress, the GAR and its members simply faded away....

According to the article, "The veterans were part of a group known as the Grand Army of the Republic, which was later absorbed by the veterans’ organization American Legion."
Is this correct?
My understanding is the GAR was not "absorbed" or merged into any other veterans group or fraternal organization.
They continued to meet until their last Encampment in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1949.
Like the soldiers in MacArthur's famous April 19, 1951 speech to Congress, the GAR and its members simply faded away....
logo-15.png

The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) is a fraternal organization dedicated to preserving the history and legacy of veteran heroes who fought and worked to save the Union in the American Civil War. Organized in 1881 and chartered by Congress in 1954, SUVCW is the legal heir and successor to the Grand Army of the Republic.

Back