Civil War Medical Question

milehigh

Cadet
Hello, I'm currently working on some creative writing which takes place during the Civil War, and at one point the main character breaks his arm during a battle, from a fall not gunfire or etc, far behind enemy lines. My question is would a military surgeon be able to set a broken bone even if the solider took several days to get back to his regiment, or would they amputate it? I know Minnie balls would often tear tissue and shatter bone, and that infections were also a major reason for amputation, but that is not the case in my story, so would they simply set the bone? Did they use casts for broken limbs like we do today or something else? Thanks, for your time.

Hello, I'm currently working on some creative writing which takes place during the Civil War, and at one point the main character breaks his arm during a battle, from a fall not gunfire or etc, far behind enemy lines. My question is would a military surgeon be able to set a broken bone even if the solider took several days to get back to his regiment, or would they amputate it? I know Minnie balls would often tear tissue and shatter bone, and that infections were also a major reason for amputation, but that is not the case in my story, so would they simply set the bone? Did they use casts for broken limbs like we do today or something else? Thanks, for your time.
CW splints.jpg

A wooden traction leg splint is on display at the Civil War exhibit at the Sigal Museum in Easton, PA. In the foreground is an arm splint made of wire and paper.
These medical artifacts belonged to Dr. Jacob Ludlow, a lieutenant colonel in the 1st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. The family's oral tradition says that Ludlow treated Gen. Ulysses S. Grant after the Battle of Vicksburg. Mrs. David Ludlow donated the items.

splint-medium.jpg

Wooden leg splints like this one were used to set fractured legs; carved out of wood, the splint contained padding and an opening to protect the knee and knee cap to make the leg more stable. A variety of splints were also designed for use on arms.
Image Courtesy Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield; WICR 30576

splint 1.jpg
splint 2.jpg

This is an original Civil War era Wrist Splint. It was used to stabilize the arm after resection surgery. It is marked with the period maker "A.M. DAY". Day was from Vermont and he acquired patent rights to these types of splints. In the flat position it measures approximately 7" x 2 1/4"

When a soldier received a wound to an extremity, more often then not there was also a broken bone (or bones) involved. The soldier with a wound which caused a broken bone could be treated as follows. After the surgeon probed the wound to remove any foreign material: bullet, pieces of bone, pieces of uniform etc., a dressing would be applied and the limb placed in some sort of splint or traction. Often surgeons were forced to use a piece of board or fence, but because of numerous broken bones, splints such as the one here were usually available. The use of a splint would provide better alignment of the extremity, thus preventing some common complications of broken bones: contracted, shortened extremities. It also allowed the wound to be dressed without disturbing its alignment and thus the healing of the bone.

Pictorial Encyclopedia of Civil War Medical Instruments and Equipment, by Dr. Gordon Dammann

Back