CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Civil War maritime art exhibit features impression of SC Lowcountry
Friday, February 24th 2017, 6:55 am CSTFriday, February 24th 2017, 6:55 am CST
By Renee Standera, Digital Content Producer
Connect

13210518_G.jpg
Xanthus Smith painting of battle of Monitor vs. Merrimack, signature piece of exhibit at Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum (Source: WIS) COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -
Xanthus Smith wanted to be a Hudson River School landscape artist like his father. But the Civil War interrupted the Philadelphia artist's plans.

A new exhibit opens Friday at the Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum in Columbia, showcasing the art of Smith, done while he served in the Union navy during the Civil War.

More: http://www.wistv.com/story/34593317...-exhibit-features-impression-of-sc-lowcountry

Xanthus Smith did several versions of the Monitor-Virginia battle-- all look more or less realistic, although all that I've seen have some technical errors-- but my favorite remains the one on pp. 56-7 of the Frank Donovan/American Heritage Ironclads of the Civil War (1964). I have never seen it published elsewhere. :frown: [In the book, it is credited to the "Union League of Philadelphia."] Although it, too, contains several visual errors (such as the shape of the Virginia's casemate and two apparently cylindrical smoke pipes on Monitor) it has remained one of the two images that most evoke that fight in my mind (the other being the much-reproduced image of the two at close quarters by J.O. Davidson from Battles and Leaders):

Expired Image Removed

Back