1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Civil war life belt? Coast guard 1863

Discussion in 'Civil War Uniforms & Relics' started by jan m, Nov 10, 2017.

1. jan m

jan m Cadet

Hello,

A few years ago, I bought this item with a lot of other stuff. Could this piece be from the Civil War? And what would be the value of this item? I would like to sell it, to buy more Canadian ww2 militaria. Thank you very much in advance,

Jan

Attached Files:

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

Thanks for posting. It is hard to see what is written on it if you could be clearer photos or transcribe what it says it would be very helpful.

4. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant Member of the Month

http://thomaslegion.net/americancivilwartheunitedstatescoastguardakarevenuecutterservice.html

I am not for sure, as I have only seen these life preservers from later times. It is pretty neat though. At that time the Coast Guard was known as the US Revenue Cutter Service by the 1860's. The modern Coast Guard was created in 1915, when it merged with the US Life-Saving Service. Either way I like it. I hope it is from the Civil War era. I cannot read the date clearly. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  5. relicKING

relicKING Private

coast guard was called the marine revenue cutter service during the war and became the uscg in the 1920s per their website

6. jan m

jan m Cadet

Thank you all very much. So it is not from the civil war unfortunately. It says Atlantic Pacific Mig corp, and an adress. It also says approved United States Coast Guard. I am not sure about the date, it really looks like 1863.

7. relicKING

relicKING Private

i would google what you can read and the mark is a inspector mark pretty much meaning it passes their guidlines etc

8. relicKING

relicKING Private

ill also add its definately older style most likely from the early 20s and prob still a desirable piece as it has eye appeal.

9. 1867crete

1867crete Private

In my collecting and trading experience, I’ve found people collect just about anything! Especially odd/unusal items!! Which this seems to be? The stencil reminds me of the world wars stlye. Much later then the ACW But can’t hardly make out what it says... do some research perhaps you have a diamond in the ruff!!

mofederal likes this.
  10. Frederick14Va

Frederick14Va First Sergeant

The USCG Approval code numbering system in this particular format didn't come around till post-WW2 in the late 40's or so... The date is more likely 1963... Still would be an interesting collectible to hang on the man cave wall of some old salt...

11. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant Member of the Month

It does appear to be a color I have seen on WWII items, not white to attract attention, but a drab color to help hide a person floating on the sea.

12. jan m

jan m Cadet

Thank you very much for the information. I definetely does not say 1963. I am going to try to do some research. I will keep you all posted.

13. Frederick14Va

Frederick14Va First Sergeant

The company that made it was formed in 1920, and ended in 1985...
    The USCG equipment approval code used on it in that format started in 1949...
    Heres two image clips of two other life buoys from the same maker, showing the date stencil for comparison of the fonts used...
    Also noting that the date marking pattern apparently changed from Month-Day-Year in 1955... to Day-Month-Year by this one in 1956...
    buoy-Clipboard01.jpg
    buoy-clip2.jpg

Here is a "negative" image of yours, so the markings can be seen better
    buoy-IMG-20171109-WA0014-2.jpg

mofederal likes this.
  14. Package4

Package4 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

They began manufacturing Dec 6th, 1920, so no chance of this being ACW, sorry.

15. jan m

jan m Cadet

Thank you for the photo`s. I think mine must be army related, due to the green colour. Unfortunately I still can not read the marking. I think that it is not 1963, I believe it is older.

16. Package4

It does appear to read 20 March 1963

17. Package4

20 March and 1x63 are easily visible, we know it cannot be an 8 so there is only one option, a 9.

18. jan m

jan m Cadet

Haha I think you are right. I am just a little bit disappointed I think. Thanks very much for all the information.

19. gary

gary Captain

You may want to contact the San Francisco Maritime Museum, a unit of the National Park Service (aka Hyde Street Pier).

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)