Civil War Humor.

godofredus

Sergeant Major
Not strictly ACW humor, these images are from an Australian temperance group, "The 5 Stages of Drunkenness", made between 1863 and 1868.
View attachment 37099
View attachment 37100
View attachment 37101
View attachment 37102
View attachment 37103

Reminds me of my favorite song - I thought it was really old, but it turns out to be s a 1933temperance-themed song with lyrics by Benjamin Hapgood Burt. It was also sung byFozzie Bearin episode 209 ofThe Muppet Show.

One evening in October When I was about one-third sober And was taking home a load with manly pride My poor feet began to stutter So I lay down in the gutter And a pig came up and lay down by my side Then we sang "It's All Fair Weather" And "Good Fellows Get Together" Till a lady passing by was heard to say She says, "You can tell a man who boozes By the company he chooses" And the pig got up and slowly walked away Yes, the pig got up and slowly walked away Slowly walked away, slowly walked away Yes, the pig got up and he turned and winked at me As he slowly walked away I also well remember One evening in November When I was creeping home at break of day For in my exhilaration I engaged in conversation With a cab-horse, right on the corner of Broadway I was filled up to the eyeballs With a flock of gin and highballs So I whispered to the cab-horse old and grey I says, "It's these all-night homeward marches That gave us both our fallen arches." And the old horse laughed and slowly walked away Yes, the old horse laughed and slowly walked away Slowly walked away, he slowly walked away And the old horse laughed and he turned and winked at me As he slowly walked away As he slowly walked away

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
This tale was told in "Comrades Four" by author Edward Rich who was a private in the 1st Maryland Cavalry Co. E C.S.A. I left all the punctuation just as in the book, Pvt. Rich loved comas.

(while at Camp Lee) "Sauntering along one of our broad avenues one pleasant evening just after supper, smoking a dainty little meerschaum, I was accosted by a chubby little fellow, as round as he was tall, with light hair, blue eyes, and a ruddy face, with, " Say, Pard, can't you give an old soldier a pipeful of tobacco?"

The pipe he was smoking was about the size of an ordinary clay pipe, and without any hesitation I handed him my tobacco pouch. With a sly twinkle of his eye, Harry (Quinn) quietly put the little pipe in one pocket and drew from another a huge bowl holding something like a quarter of a pound, and after emptying the pouch of all it's contents, which not more than half filled pipe no. 2, said, "Is that all you got?"

"Well, not quite" said I "but it's all you'll get now!"

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)