Civil War Humor.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

kholland

Captain
Retired Moderator
"During this early morning fight on the Hagerstown Pike near the Dunkard Church a rather amusing incident took place. While the critical struggle over Millers' corn field and the Hagerstown Pike was at its height, Lee and Jackson chanced to be conferring in the vicinity of the Dunkard Church. In the course of their conversation, Lee, in scanning the firing lines, spotted a lean battle forager heading back toward camp in the West Woods lugging a pig over his shoulder. With the battle hanging in the balance and straggling and foraging being a couple of the causes for the current predicament of the Confederate Army, Lee momentarily lost his composure and ordered Jackson to have the man shot. However, Jackson, being a bit more practical in this instance, gave the roguish rascal a rifle and ordered him back into the battle where the action was the hottest. The culprit survived the ordeal and was afterwards referred to as 'the man who lost his pig but saved his bacon.'"

http://www.libertyrifles.org/research/4thtx-maryland.html

"During this early morning fight on the Hagerstown Pike near the Dunkard Church a rather amusing incident took place. While the critical struggle over Millers' corn field and the Hagerstown Pike was at its height, Lee and Jackson chanced to be conferring in the vicinity of the Dunkard Church. In the course of their conversation, Lee, in scanning the firing lines, spotted a lean battle forager heading back toward camp in the West Woods lugging a pig over his shoulder. With the battle hanging in the balance and straggling and foraging being a couple of the causes for the current predicament of the Confederate Army, Lee momentarily lost his composure and ordered Jackson to have the man shot. However, Jackson, being a bit more practical in this instance, gave the roguish rascal a rifle and ordered him back into the battle where the action was the hottest. The culprit survived the ordeal and was afterwards referred to as 'the man who lost his pig but saved his bacon.'"

http://www.libertyrifles.org/research/4thtx-maryland.html
Good story, and one I had not heard. The payoff is pretty amusing. I wonder if that soldier every realized what almost happened to him.

kholland

Captain
Retired Moderator
I’m not sure if this story is true or just one of those things that get started on the web and take on a life of their own. Although this happened 151 years ago, and not exactly a hot internet topic. That said, here’s the story:

A Confederate soldier reported the next story from his experiences in the Gettysburg Campaign.

“It was just before the Battle of Gettysburg and our regiment was camped on the suburbs of a pretty Pennsylvania town. A stream was near the camp, and one afternoon I suggested to some of the boys in my company that we take a bath and a swim. They took to the idea, and likewise to the water, in quick time. There were no in the houses in the immediate vicinity, except for one on a hillside about half a mile away belonging to an old spinster lady.

“We had been swimming for a while when a boy trudged into camp in search of the captain. He had a note from the old maid, which read:

Dear sir : I wish you would order your men out of the stream. I can see them plainly through my brother’s field glasses!

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)