Civil War Humor.

A company of Union soldiers were matching down the road and went by an old man standing by the side.
He yelled out, "We sure whipped your butts at Chickamaugy!"
The Captain was furious and had the old man brought before him,
"Now, what did you say?" demanded the Captain.
"We sure whipped your butts at Chickamaugy!" repeated the old man.
" Sergeant Major! Conscript this man right now! " yelled the Captain,
"So NOW, what do you have to say for yourself?" demanded the Captain.
"They sure whipped our butts at Chickamaugy!"

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
"A Texas regiment of Wheeler's cavalry came into Rome, Ga., and halted in front of the hotel. The officers and many of the men scattered around town, but the majority of them remained mounted, taking the easiest positions they could in the saddles, some of them sitting sideways, with one leg thrown across the pommel. It was about dinner-time and a negro waiter came out with one of those Chinese copper gongs and, giving it one tremendous rap, made it rattle with that nerve-splitting noise so well known to passengers at railway depots. The result was fearful! Horses reared, plunged, and turning like goats, stampeded in all directions, leaving many riders on the ground, and creating more excitement than the fire of a Federal battery of six guns would have done. After a few minutes the officers of the regiment came up to see what was the matter, and hearing the cause of the trouble, told the proprietor of the hotel to hide his negro out, as the men would surely kill him if they found him. And sure enough, in a few minutes they came on a hunt for him; but the negro had been safely hidden away and was not seen any more during the stay of that Texas command. As is well known, the Texas cavalry were superb riders, and to throw them was no easy matter; but that Chinese gong dismounted more of them than a charge of infantry would have done."
Campaigns of Wheeler and His Cavalry.1862-1865, Joseph Wheeler. Wheeler's Confederate Cavalry Association, pp.282-283

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
A Confederate POW led through a Federal camp began to observe US stamped on tents, wagons, caissons and other equipment, after a while taken in by it all he turned to the guards and remarked: I see y’all use that US stuff too.
Lol! Toward the end of the war just about every horse Forrest had was stamped US! Sherman called him the best horse thief on either side... :whistling:

While in front of Petersburg, General Butler received information that his favorite horse, Almond Eye, had been accidentally killed by falling into a ravine. Upon the departure of the informant he ordered an Irishman to go and skin him.

"What! Is Almond Eye dead?" asked Pat.
"What is that to you? Do as I bid you and ask no questions."
Pat went about his business and in an hour or two returned.
"Well Pat, where have you been all this time?"
"Skinning the horse, yer honor."
"Does it take near two hours to perform such an operation?"
"No, yer honor; but thin ye see it took 'bout half an hour to catch him."
"Catch him! Fire and furies, was he alive?"
"Yes yer honor; and ye know I couldn't skin him alive."
"Skin him alive! Did you kill him?"
"To be sure I did! You know I always must obey orders without asking any questions."

Gen. Butler eyed his servant with a malicious look that Pat thought he meditated skinning an Irishman in revenge for the death of his horse.
Anecdotes, poetry, and incidents of the war: North and South: 1860-1865, Frank Moore, pg. 508

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)