MS Civil War Graves in Old Brandon Cemetery, Brandon, Mississippi

Championhilz

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Yesterday I took part in an historic cemetery tour at Old Brandon Cemetery in Brandon, Mississippi. There are a number of Confederate burials in the cemetery, and I thought I would share pictures of some of them:

Gravestone7_zps4688753f.jpg

Gravestone11_zps27f7bf9f.jpg

Grave of Robert Lowry, Colonel of the 6th Mississippi Infantry, Brigadier General, CSA, and governor of Mississippi

Gravestone5_zps8c488750.jpg

Grave of Colonel William H. Clark, commander of the 46th Mississippi Infantry, killed at Allatoona, Georgia - General French wrote of him, "He fell in the advance near the enemy's works with the battle flag in his hands. He was an excellent and gallant officer."

Gravestone9_zpsd9e2c383.jpg

Grave of Colonel Winchester Shelby, commander of the 39th Mississippi Infantry

Gravestone2_zps25602acb.jpg

Grave of Patrick Henry, Jr., a lieutenant in the 6th Mississippi Infantry and Major in the 14th Mississippi Consolidated regiment, formed in April 1865 from the survivors of the 14th, 43rd, and 6th Mississippi infantry regiments

Gravestone6_zpsf3820fb0.jpg

Grave of my G-G Grandfather, Alexander Speer, Captain of Company A, 3rd Mississippi Cavalry (State Troops)
Gravestone8_zps0f857486.jpg

Close-up of my G-G Grandfather's grave - he was killed in a terrible railroad accident at Water Valley, Mississippi, in 1870 while bringing a group of Scottish immigrants to Mississippi from Chicago.

Gravestone10_zps214a443a.jpg

Grave of my G-G Uncle, William A. Harper, Captain of Company D, 6th Mississippi Infantry

Johnson_zps0fa2e218.jpg

Grave of My G-G Grandfather, Lyttleton H. Johnson, Private Company D, 6th Mississippi Infantry (William A. Harper was his half-brother)

Was there 2 years ago for the funeral of a cousin's wife. I did notice the Confederate section of the cemetery.

The cemetery is very well taken care of, thanks to the efforts of the Rankin County Historical Society. There is also a very good view from the cemetery, as it is the highest point between Vicksburg and Meridian. I thought I would share one more picture - no Civil War connection, just a beautiful piece of statuary:

angel_zpsec2be187.jpg

Back