Civil War generals who did not have a full head of hair?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Many of the Civil War generals had a full head of hair, even some of the older generals. Still we have a few generals who had a receding hair lines and some who could be called bald. Some even had nicknames about their lack of a full head of hair. So who was the Confederate and Union general with the least amount of hair on thier heads? I would have to give this some thought but there are a few likely candidates. Did any Civil War generals wear a hair piece or wig to cover their bald spot?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Richard Ewell and Ambrose Burnside come to mind.

Richard Ewell was the confederate who came to my mind. to me in a modern setting he would wear a baseball cap to cover his lack of hair. Or would he wear a cowboy hat to cover his baldness?

Ambrose Burnside was fairly bald. Today I think he would go with the shaved head look and leave his whiskers.

Kyle Kalasnik

Sergeant
Richard Ewell was the confederate who came to my mind. to me in a modern setting he would wear a baseball cap to cover his lack of hair. Or would he wear a cowboy hat to cover his baldness?

Ambrose Burnside was fairly bald. Today I think he would go with the shaved head look and leave his whiskers.
I could see both of them doing that.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
General Benjamin Butler was about as bald as generals get. In post War images he lost additional hair over his ears. I not sure there is much he could do even in the modern world. Grow what hair he had at the the back of his head long, braid it and sport a 'rat tail'? I am not sure a 'rat tail' would help his looks. Now I wish I was good at photoshop so I could see Butler with a 'rat tail'.

Kyle Kalasnik

Sergeant
General Benjamin Butler was about as bald as generals get. In post War images he lost additional hair over his ears. I not sure there is much he could do even in the modern world. Grow what hair he had at the the back of his head long, braid it and sport a 'rat tail'? I am not sure a 'rat tail' would help his looks. Now I wish I was good at photoshop so I could see Butler with a 'rat tail'.
He was one ugly SOB. Now I’m no Brad Pitt, but holy smokes I feel bad for the poor guy.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Don't forget Lovely Ben:
1616593399498.png

EDIT: Oops! I missed the last two posts! Sorry.