Uniforms Civil War Frock Coat Original?

DuckNachos99

Cadet
I’d like to know if this frock coat is original or a reproduction. I’m new to collecting Civil War antiques and I’d like to start my collection somewhere and I’d like to purchase this if it is. The buttons say Pettibone Mfg. Co. Cincinnati, if that helps.
ECBE635D-20BE-4437-8956-90BA4D5147F9.jpeg
0F63E35E-838F-484E-89D4-D6B1058B47AC.jpeg
3D6BCE60-21DE-4ED8-9931-233DE218D68F.jpeg
E5ECFF55-E47A-4FAE-98CC-632D4F30ED2E.jpeg
D4538043-72A2-4F6D-AD7F-9D1BCAAD4556.jpeg

Its a post war coat here is the info on Pettibone
Company Name Pettibone Bros. Mfg. Co.
Place Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Notes content circa 1910s-1920s,uniforms, regalia, camp furniture, swords, flags, banners, buttons & caps ; fraternal and Masonic regalia ; band uniforms ; cadet and military ceremonial attire ;

It looks to me like typical reenactors' gear, with added older buttons. (I've done the same thing!) Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum and retired reenactor.

Hello and welcome from the Book, Movie, and TV Discussion Forum.

I highly doubt its original, as the construction of it is off, (dead giveaway to me, no quilting stitching visible in the lining), but at the same time I highly doubt its a reenactor coat. The blue is to vibrant and noticeably "bluer" than most reenacting coats, its just the right shade and isn't so dark to almost look black, plus when that older stuff fades it has a purple shade. It is only in very recent years that the proper shade of blue has been properly replicated in reproductions. Also the cloth itself looks about the right weight, and not the overly heavy cloth most older and most common used in reproductions till recent years.

I'm gonna concur with @ucvrelics to a large extent to its age and say this is probably a veterans coat, or something along those lines. I don't see a tag near the collar, so maybe this isn't a mass produced post-war coat.

I could be wrong, but I'd like to know more about this coat. Who knows, it could be a reproduction with older buttons from ten or fifteen year ago.

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

I’d like to know if this frock coat is original or a reproduction. I’m new to collecting Civil War antiques and I’d like to start my collection somewhere and I’d like to purchase this if it is. The buttons say Pettibone Mfg. Co. Cincinnati, if that helps.View attachment 333209View attachment 333210View attachment 333211View attachment 333212View attachment 333213
I believe this to be a reproduction, way too many issues with the coat to list. Not made of broadcloth to begin with and as previously mentioned, no padding. Collar is way off, looks to be an old Servant’s piece from 10-15 years ago.

If you're starting a collection, you're sure starting at the top! But no, it's almost certainly post war. It could possibly be a GAR piece. How much are they asking for it if I may ask?

Back