Civil war folding camp chair carpet seat replacement

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Taji04

Private
Hello all,

I just purchased a Civil War era folding camp chair. As far as I can tell, the carpet seat is not original to the chair. The weave is wrong. I am looking for a source of period correct reproduction carpet the correct width in order to replace the seat. I understand that ingrain carpet was used during the period. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!
folding-camp-chair-jpg.jpg

civilken

1st Lieutenant
I have three of them believe it or not pick them up at a garage sale seven dollars for the three of them.
My seats already heavy red with some needlework on them nothing fancy just some circles I get a kick out of them. I am 250 pounds so there is no way I can sit on gives you an idea how small the average American was at that time they almost look like children seems.

Taji04

Private
I have three of them believe it or not pick them up at a garage sale seven dollars for the three of them.
You made out like a bandit! This one I picked up for $20. Not too bad. You don't happen to know where a person could get repop replacement carpet, do you? Do yours have a heavy material or carpet? If material, what is it do you think (canvas, heavy cloth, doubled up material,etc)?

Package4

1st Lieutenant
You made out like a bandit! This one I picked up for $20. Not too bad. You don't happen to know where a person could get repop replacement carpet, do you? Do yours have a heavy material or carpet? If material, what is it do you think (canvas, heavy cloth, doubled up material,etc)?
Yes, Pat Cline in Red Lion, PA; Pat weaves cloth for museums, period replacement cloth for historic homes and sometimes a run for reenactor clothiers.

He may have some short run scraps lying around.

http://www.familyheirloomweavers.com/

Package4

1st Lieutenant
Thank you Sir! I had heard that Pat will not deal with individuals per se, but I will give him a call and see if this is true. I will let you know for future reference.
It has been a while since I last visited Pat, but he is a very nice individual, who over the years has been taken advantage of, by some not so nice people. You might be able to go through S&S sutler in Gettysburg and see if he can get a scrap from Pat, if he won't deal direct. Tim at S&S may have a scrap; he deals quite frequently with Pat to keep his uniform providers in cloth. Pat will make a run if the quantity is sufficient.