NF Civil War Film Fan Edit

Non-Fiction
Gods and Generals. I would include the Antietam scenes, which are not in the copy I have and cut out a lot of the personal scenes, like between Chamberlin and his wife, and Jackson at prayer could be cut down. Stuff like that. I am very much in the minority, but I really enjoy a lot of that movie.

John

My choice for a Civil War film to do a fan edit of would be Gettysburg. Among the changes I would make is cutting such scenes as Buford with the Gettysburg civilians, Longstreet's "we should have freed the slaves, then fired on Fort Sumter" line, and the Armistead/Freemantle scene leading up to Pickett's Charge.

Personally, I would cut out the most annoying character for me in the film Gettysburg. Buster Kilrain.

As a fictional character he features way too largely in a movie based on real men and events.

And people are inclined to believe he actually existed. Plus, he appears to be somewhat of a caricature to me as an Irishman.

Honestly I'd edit and make Gods and Generals like a four part movie/tv series. Each part would include the battles they included, but just more in depth. I felt the battle scenes for pretty much all the battles were lackluster, and I do believe that they intended to make G&G and tv movie with parts, but I just hope they stuck to that plan.

note: watch Buster Keaton's silent film, The General.
there is a scene of a Northern Calvary charge.
They hired war veterans, with their own gear I'm told, to recreate the charge.
It is the only film of a real Civil War charge, including uniforms, equipment, etc.
go look..Ken

I'd hire a team of Private Detectives (probably not Pinkerton's after their McClellan horror show) to scour Hollywood and particularly MGM to find the lost two-hour version of John Huston's Red Badge of Courage and be able to see what he considered up to that time as the best two hour movie he'd ever made.

We were robbed of a classic by Studio politics and were lumbered with a 70 minute 'best of' compilation.

Another film I would be curious to see a fan edit of would be Glory. The changes I would make would be cutting the sequence where the soldiers are in training camp during Christmas and correcting the subtitles towards the beginning of the film with the soldiers arriving in training in early 1863 instead of late 1862.

Back