HF Civil War fiction books like or dislike or mehh?

Historical-Fiction
I am wonding what everyone thinks about historical fiction books. Whether its say the killer angles or North and South.
Or Historical fiction like Turtledove books.
I read one of the book by Nwet Gingrish (yes its spelled terribly) and it was mehhh. Tryed reading a Turtledove book about the British attacking the north during the war then South steping in to take out the British.
For the most part I find them mehhh or just boring. One exception was a fiction book about Shiloh and I think it was by Shelby Foot called Shiloh.
I stay with non-fiction but does anyone have book recommendations, or has anyone writen a book?

Well-written stories with historical settings can be good reads. They add an extra dimension of interest, if the characters and events are based on what actually happened.

Try 'The Widow of the South' by Robert Hicks and 'Sharpshooter' by David Madden.

I enjoyed "Without Warning: The Saga of Gettysburg: A Reluctant Union Hero and the Men He Inspired" by Terry C Pierce.

The story of the Battle of Gettysburg from the viewpoint of General George G. Meade, so the book is entirely from the northern perspective.Very much like being on Meade's shoulder the entire time from his assumption of command of the AOP through the battle.

The characterization of Meade as well as the interactions with corps commanders and staff officers are very well done.Though of course we can never be entirely sure, I feel the conversations match what is known in the historical record.

Definitely one of the top 5 historical fiction books I've read. Hard to put down; held my attention throughout; and despite its length sorry when I reached the end as wanted it to continue.

Back