HF Civil War fiction books like or dislike or mehh?

Historical-Fiction
Shiloh 1862 by the late Winston Groom is a wonderful novel concerning a truly momentous battle early in the war. Groom was a great writer, who had a gift for capturing the multiple personalities fighting at Shiloh, as well as the fierce battle that took place throughout the unmapped terrain.

I started but wasn't too enthused.
That was exactly the experience I had when a few years back I attempted to read what was touted as an accurate and wonderful novel, Widow Of The South about the Battle of Franklin. I didn't like its characterizations, particularly of Bedford Forrest, laid it aside, and haven't seen fit to take it up again.

That was exactly the experience I had when a few years back I attempted to read what was touted as an accurate and wonderful novel, Widow Of The South about the Battle of Franklin. I didn't like its characterizations, particularly of Bedford Forrest, laid it aside, and haven't seen fit to take it up again.
Interesting! That one is still on my "to read" pile but probably just wandered towards the bottom a bit.
As for John Jakes, I did not like the books when I first started them back in the time of the mini-series, because I thoroughly disliked the way Madeline was portrayed by that cow-eyed actress I forgot the name of. Not a fan of Patrick Swayze either. And I could not get the image of both of them out of my head at that time and put vol.1 aside pretty soon.
But now I gave it a try again 2 years ago and devoured it, all three volumes in a row. Especially the description of reconstruction left me speechless at times. I really understood why to many reconstruction was worse than the war itself.

I could only read one volume of the Jack Aubrey series by O'Brian, (not Civil War of course). The character of his pal the Dr., (I forget his name), seemed so historically unlikely I couldn't bear it. I liked the movie Master and Commander for many reasons but the same character made it almost painful to sit through.

There was a better series, in my humble opinion, about a British Naval officer in the era of sail named Bolitho by Alexander Kent. Written in the 1970s I believe.

@Belfoured By the way, I enjoyed the Peters books very much. Thank you for the recommendation.

About a quarter of the way into this now. I think it should be made into a movie! Loved Sam's fistfight with the bully, Civil War vet Craver. 🤣 And all the hoopdeedoo made in that game about the glove, the bunt, and the intentional walk. Darryl Brock does a great job incorporating all the rules that were so different then. I've been surprised to learn about all the gambling involved, right in the middle of games in progress. Good recommendation!

About a quarter of the way into this now. I think it should be made into a movie! Loved Sam's fistfight with the bully, Civil War vet Craver. 🤣 And all the hoopdeedoo made in that game about the glove, the bunt, and the intentional walk. Darryl Brock does a great job incorporating all the rules that were so different then. I've been surprised to learn about all the gambling involved, right in the middle of games in progress. Good recommendation!

I got the sequel about a week ago but I have not started it yet.

I am pleased that you are enjoying it. Play Ball!! :smile:

I got the sequel about a week ago but I have not started it yet.

I am pleased that you are enjoying it. Play Ball!! :smile:
The sequel, Two in the Field, is good. I finished it yesterday. Brock is very good at weaving his excellent research into his novels -- this one more native American and "settler west" than baseball or the Civil War, except tangentially. He seems not to have written anything since. I wonder why???

I second Miss Ravenel's Conversion, which includes a vivid account of the Red River campaign, and also the occupation of New Orleans, which author John De Forest drew from his own experience as as Union soldier. De Forest also wrote a great memoir about his time as Freedmen's Bureau agent in South Carolina. Ambrose Bierce's short stories, especially those collected in Tales of Soldiers and Civilians, have fantastical elements, but Bierce, also a veteran, included realistic details and settings.
Read Jim Mundy years ago, always thought it was a great book !

Might I suggest reading the novels that have received the prestigious John Esten Cooke Fiction Award given by the Military Order of the Stars and Bars. Two of my books are included in this collection. These novels aren’t typically best sellers, but give an inspiring Southern perspective to the WBTS.

I am wonding what everyone thinks about historical fiction books. Whether its say the killer angles or North and South.
Or Historical fiction like Turtledove books.
I read one of the book by Nwet Gingrish (yes its spelled terribly) and it was mehhh. Tryed reading a Turtledove book about the British attacking the north during the war then South steping in to take out the British.
For the most part I find them mehhh or just boring. One exception was a fiction book about Shiloh and I think it was by Shelby Foot called Shiloh.
I stay with non-fiction but does anyone have book recommendations, or has anyone writen a book?

Might I suggest reading the novels that have received the prestigious John Esten Cooke Fiction Award given by the Military Order of the Stars and Bars. Two of my books are included in this collection. These novels aren’t typically best sellers, but give an inspiring Southern perspective to the WBTS.
Are all the award winners listed in one place? The MOSB website doesn't seem to maintain such a list.

I am wonding what everyone thinks about historical fiction books. Whether its say the killer angles or North and South.
Or Historical fiction like Turtledove books.
I read one of the book by Nwet Gingrish (yes its spelled terribly) and it was mehhh. Tryed reading a Turtledove book about the British attacking the north during the war then South steping in to take out the British.
For the most part I find them mehhh or just boring. One exception was a fiction book about Shiloh and I think it was by Shelby Foot called Shiloh.
I stay with non-fiction but does anyone have book recommendations, or has anyone writen a book?
I am an award winning Civil War author and have written many books. Along with a nonfiction book about Confederate warhorses, I have also written a series of novels. You can find them on my website. http://jdrhawkins.com

Back