Civil War fiction books like or dislike or mehh?

stetson7

Cadet
Shiloh 1862 by the late Winston Groom is a wonderful novel concerning a truly momentous battle early in the war. Groom was a great writer, who had a gift for capturing the multiple personalities fighting at Shiloh, as well as the fierce battle that took place throughout the unmapped terrain.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I started but wasn't too enthused.
That was exactly the experience I had when a few years back I attempted to read what was touted as an accurate and wonderful novel, Widow Of The South about the Battle of Franklin. I didn't like its characterizations, particularly of Bedford Forrest, laid it aside, and haven't seen fit to take it up again.

That was exactly the experience I had when a few years back I attempted to read what was touted as an accurate and wonderful novel, Widow Of The South about the Battle of Franklin. I didn't like its characterizations, particularly of Bedford Forrest, laid it aside, and haven't seen fit to take it up again.
Interesting! That one is still on my "to read" pile but probably just wandered towards the bottom a bit.
As for John Jakes, I did not like the books when I first started them back in the time of the mini-series, because I thoroughly disliked the way Madeline was portrayed by that cow-eyed actress I forgot the name of. Not a fan of Patrick Swayze either. And I could not get the image of both of them out of my head at that time and put vol.1 aside pretty soon.
But now I gave it a try again 2 years ago and devoured it, all three volumes in a row. Especially the description of reconstruction left me speechless at times. I really understood why to many reconstruction was worse than the war itself.

Cavalier

First Sergeant
I could only read one volume of the Jack Aubrey series by O'Brian, (not Civil War of course). The character of his pal the Dr., (I forget his name), seemed so historically unlikely I couldn't bear it. I liked the movie Master and Commander for many reasons but the same character made it almost painful to sit through.

There was a better series, in my humble opinion, about a British Naval officer in the era of sail named Bolitho by Alexander Kent. Written in the 1970s I believe.

@Belfoured By the way, I enjoyed the Peters books very much. Thank you for the recommendation.