Civil war feint attack, were there any and did they work?

Waterloo50

Major
I’ve just finished watching a Battle of Waterloo documentary and like most documentaries on the subject of that famous battle the narrator will usually start by describing Napoleons opening move.
Napoleon launched a feint attack against the British and German held Chateau d’ Hougoumont, the Chateau was in a foward position of the British right flank and was strongly defended. The plan was simple, Napoleon hoped that Wellington would weaken his centre to support his right flank and counter the feint, with the British centre weekend, Napoleon would then launch a massive attack against the depleted held British centre, as luck would have it, Wellington didn’t take the bait and the feint failed.

I appreciate that the battle of Waterloo happened in 1815 and by the time of the Civil War quite a few new tactics and methods for fighting had been developed but I’m certain that the old tactic of using feints would still be of some use.
My question is this, were there any noticeable or decisive feints used during the civil war. I’m interested to know if anyone can show me a feint that actually worked.
Many Thanks.

Parker's Crossroads is a good example of a feint - a weird one, but effective! Forrest's troops were engaged with Dunham's when Fuller's Union brigade surprised them from the rear. Put the skeer on 'em good, too! Forrest famously ordered, "Charge 'em both ways!" and the Confederates reversed positions, charged Fuller and then scooted out sideways as Dunham's forces were confused by the retreat that wasn't a retreat.

My question is this, were there any noticeable or decisive feints used during the civil war. I’m interested to know if anyone can show me a feint that actually worked.
Well, you judge if this one worked or not, but at First Manassas both Beauregard and McDowell developed almost identical battle plans. Each intended to feint an attack with their left, but strike the main blow with forces massed on their right flank. Interestingly enough, had both commanders been completely successful, the armies may have very well simply pivoted around each other, allowing the enemy army an unobstructed march into the enemy's respective capital. As it turned out, Beauregard was less successful in putting his plan into action and yet he won the battle. So was his "feint" successful even though it wasn't carried out as planned?

Well, you judge if this one worked or not, but at First Manassas both Beauregard and McDowell developed almost identical battle plans. Each intended to feint an attack with their left, but strike the main blow with forces massed on their right flank. Interestingly enough, had both commanders been completely successful, the armies may have very well simply pivoted around each other, allowing the enemy army an unobstructed march into the enemy's respective capital. As it turned out, Beauregard was less successful in putting his plan into action and yet he won the battle. So was his "feint" successful even though it wasn't carried out as planned?
Excellent post. And fascinating stuff. Love to know the answer to that one.

Back