Civil War era photo identification

Bel

Cadet
Civil war era photo.jpg

I am looking for help identifying this uniform. Hopefully the insignia on the hat will help narrow this down. The photo was taken in Boston, MA & if I can get some assistance in identifying the unit I am hoping to be able to ID the person.
Thanks for any help you can provide

After some searching I found out there 5 military Schools in Mass.:

Asheville Military School
Highland Military Academy, Worcester, Mass., 1856 to 1912 aka Highland Park Military Academy
Mitchell Military Boys School, Billerica, Mass., 1879 to 1943
New England Military Academy
Springside Military Institute

It could be another for military School or academy. How large is the picture, a CDV or a Cabinet card. Any backmarks might help. I found quite a few images of items from the Highland Military Academy. Below is identified as a Civil War Era Highland Military Academy Engineers Cap.

civil-war-era-engineer-hat_1_4b0c1fb3eee318bf6d9dfb5df1b1e528.jpg

Highland Military Academy, Worcester, Mass., 1856 to 1912 aka Highland Park Military Academy

It could be another for military School or academy. How large is the picture, a CDV or a Cabinet card. Any backmarks might help. I found quite a few images of items from the Highland Military Academy. Below is identified as a Civil War Era Highland Military Academy Engineers Cap.

View attachment 386104
Looks like the insignia on the cap might be a NE? Presumably for New England Military Academy?
1609220165830.png

He could be a cadet wearing a uniform, but this would not be a common cadet style uniform. He could be a militia field grade officer.

View attachment 386104
This is a cabinet card & the back says E.S. Dunshee 3 Tremont Row Boston year appears to be 1876

back of civil war era photo.jpg

View attachment 386051
I am looking for help identifying this uniform. Hopefully the insignia on the hat will help narrow this down. The photo was taken in Boston, MA & if I can get some assistance in identifying the unit I am hoping to be able to ID the person.
Thanks for any help you can provide
We think we identified this as my husbands great grandfather, F H Leonard, Jr. He attended English High School & we found this program from 1876 which matches the date on the back of the photo.
image0-63.jpg
image0-65.jpg
image0-66.jpg

Back